British charity fundraiser bags ‘dream job’May 6th, 2009 - 2:00 pm ICT by IANS
Sydney, May 6 (DPA) British charity fundraiser Ben Southall Wednesday bagged the caretaker’s job on an island in the Great Barrier Reef in Australia.
There were 34,000 applications for the job and 16 people were called to be interviewed. The Australian tourism authorities had described it as “the best job in the world”.
The 34-year-old, who takes up a six-month contract July 1, is to pick up a six-figure pay packet for looking after Hamilton Island.
As well as keeping the swimming pool leaf-free and feeding the fish, Southall is to earn his keep producing a blog to relay to the world his impressions of Queensland as a holiday destination.
Tourism Queensland, through spokesman Anthony Hayes, said the amazingly successful competition had generated free publicity worth hundreds of millions of dollars.
“The answer when things are going tough is you can complain about it or you can be more creative and more aggressive and try and get more people to come,” Hayes said. “The whole idea of this promotion is to find the perfect person to help us sell Queensland but to tell the rest of the world we really are open for business.”
- 'Best Job in the World' winner now off on 'Best Expedition in the World' - Nov 11, 2010
- 'Best Job in the World' winner becomes Tourism Queensland ambassador - Dec 15, 2009
- UK finalist bags 'World's Best Job' - May 06, 2009
- 'Best job in the World' winner's job to end on New Year's Eve - Dec 25, 2009
- 'Best Job in The World' winner has small mishap on first day - Jul 02, 2009
- 'Best job in the world' winner says he will miss British summer - Jun 11, 2009
- 'Best Job in the World' winner under fire for not blogging enough - Jul 24, 2009
- 'Best job in the World' winner says he'll miss his mum - Jul 01, 2009
- Applicants galore for Australia's dream job - Feb 19, 2009
- Hot 50 for Australia's top job named - Mar 03, 2009
- 'Best job in the World' campaign grabs One Show award in New York - May 07, 2009
- 'Best job in the World' in its final stage - May 04, 2009
- 'Best Job in the World' campaign fails to lure foreigners - Nov 08, 2009
- 'Best Job in the World' winner to appear on Oprah Winfrey show - Oct 24, 2009
- Taiwan woman steps closer to Australia's dream job - Mar 25, 2009
Tags: australian tourism, british charity, caretaker, charity fundraiser, destination tourism, dream job, free publicity, great barrier reef, great barrier reef in australia, hamilton island, holiday destination, impressions, pay packet, perfect person, rest of the world, southall, swimming pool, tourism authorities, tourism queensland, worth hundreds