Britain’s construction sector contractsJuly 4th, 2012 - 2:08 pm ICT by IANS
London, July 4 (IANS) The construction sector in Britain saw the sharpest fall in June for two and a half years, said a Markit/CIPS market sensitive survey report.
The Markit/CIPS Construction Purchasing managers’ Index (PMI) stood at 48.2 in June, down from 54.4 in May, the biggest fall since February 2009. A PMI reading above 50 denotes growth, while a reading below 50 suggests contraction, reported Xinhua.
The survey also found employment in the sector fell from the first time in four months.
Britain’s economy contracted 0.3 percent in the first three months of the year and having shrunk at the end of 2011 is deemed to be in recession.
In a further sign of the weak state of the economy, the latest official data also showed that the country’s dominant service sector stagnated in April.
Construction sector weakness was cited as a key factor why Britain returned to recession at the start of 2012.
“The UK construction sector moved back into reverse gear in June, with output falling at its fastest pace since the end of 2009 amid a steep decline in civil engineering,” said Tim Moore, senior economist at Markit.
- Britain's manufacturing growth slows in April - May 02, 2012
- China non-manufacturing sector's growth slows - Aug 03, 2012
- China's manufacturing sector growth slows - Aug 01, 2012
- China's manufacturing activity slows - Sep 01, 2012
- Australian manufacturing activity contracts - Apr 02, 2012
- Chinese economy facing downside risks - Jun 02, 2012
- Economic gloom lifting in Europe, surveys show - Aug 21, 2009
- China non-manufacturing sector's growth picks up - Jul 03, 2012
- China's non-manufacturing sector growth slows in August - Sep 03, 2011
- Growth up in China's non-manufacturing sector - Sep 03, 2012
- China's Purchasing Managers' Index falls in November - Dec 01, 2011
- China's manufacturing activity slows to nine-month low (Lead) - Sep 01, 2012
- US manufacturing sector contracts in July - Aug 02, 2012
- China's non-manufacturing sector growth goes up (Lead) - Sep 03, 2012
- China's manufacturing expands in April - May 01, 2012
Tags: civil engineering, construction sector, contraction, economist, first three months, four months, july 4, markit, months of the year, pmi, purchasing managers index, recession, sensitive survey, service sector, steep decline, survey report, tim moore, two and a half years, uk construction, xinhua