Britain mulls second aid package to ease credit squeezeJanuary 13th, 2009 - 9:57 pm ICT by IANS
London, Jan 13 (DPA) The British government confirmed Tuesday that it was planning a fresh aid package to unlock the credit squeeze by offering loan guarantees to small-and medium-sized businesses.The measures, believed to entail as much as 20 billion pounds ($29.6 billion) were discussed by the cabinet Tuesday and could be announced later this week.
Discussion of the new package coincided with Tuesday’s visit to London of Ben Bernanke, the chief of the US Federal Reserve.
Prime Minister Gordon Brown was due to discuss the global economy with Bernanke, whose example of drastic interest rate cuts has been taken up by the Bank of England.
Brown is to have talks in Berlin Thursday with German Chancellor Angela Merkel.
Meanwhile, a survey of British business leaders released Tuesday painted a bleak picture of the severity of the economic downturn.
A survey by the British Chambers of Commerce (BCC) of 6,000 firms showed that businesses reported “plummeting confidence” in the last three months of 2008 and feared a “frightening deterioration” in the economic situation.
In a separate report, retailers said they have seen the worst sale results for 14 years in December.
- British government unveils new economic aid package - Jan 15, 2009
- German chancellor pitches for Eurofighter Typhoon - May 31, 2011
- India, Germany set ambitious trade target - Dec 12, 2010
- India, Germany to discuss IMF reforms, defence deal - May 30, 2011
- EU President says more money will be found if needed to fight debt crisis - Jun 10, 2010
- Huddled over eurozone crisis, EU leaders watch football - Jun 29, 2012
- US, France, Britain, Germany discuss Libya - Mar 29, 2011
- France and Germany voice support for Greek reform and austerity program - Jun 18, 2011
- Britain wants to be 'positive player' in Europe - May 21, 2010
- India, Germany sign four pacts to expand ties (Lead) - May 31, 2011
- Britain to launch campaign for more exports to Asia - Dec 08, 2011
- British government promises bold reform - May 12, 2010
- China seeks closer ties with Germany - Feb 03, 2012
- Sonia among top 10 powerful people in world (Lead) - Nov 04, 2010
- US releases stimulus funds - Mar 04, 2009
Tags: angela merkel, bank of england, bcc, ben bernanke, british business, british chambers of commerce, british government, chambers of commerce, chancellor angela merkel, credit squeeze, economic downturn, economic situation, german chancellor angela merkel, global economy, gordon brown, interest rate cuts, loan guarantees, london jan, medium sized businesses, prime minister gordon brown