BRIC has potential to lead economic growth: PMJune 15th, 2009 - 2:31 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 15 (IANS) Global economic recovery was closely linked to the success of the economies of the four BRIC countries (Brazil, Russia, India and China), Prime Minister Manmohan Singh said Monday before leaving for the Russian city of Yekaterinburg to attend a summit of the grouping.
Stressing that the four countries would play a crucial part in overcoming the ongoing economic slowdown, the prime minister said: “The countries of Brazil, Russia, India and China (BRIC) together account for 40 percent of the world’s population and 40 percent of global GDP. The BRIC grouping has the potential to lead global economic growth.”
“In fact, global economic recovery is closely linked to the success of the BRIC economies. India is among the fastest growing BRIC economies, and we are ready to play our part in coordinating international efforts to overcome the ongoing financial and economic slowdown,” Manmohan Singh said in his departure statement before leaving for Russia to attend the BRIC and Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) summits.
The prime minister’s first overseas visit since his re-election last month will also be marked by his first meeting with Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari since the 26/11 Mumbai attacks.
Discussing the SCO, he said: “I will also be attending the summit meeting of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) for the first time. India has been an observer of the SCO since 2005.”
The decision to attend the summit, he added, was “a reflection of the high regard we have for Russia’s presidency of the SCO, and our desire to intensify our engagement with countries of our extended neighbourhood in central Asia”.
“There are issues which concern both of us, such as the fight against terrorism and extremism and cooperation in areas of energy security, infrastructure development, agriculture, transportation, science and technology and education.”
- BRICS Summit - Facts at a glance - Mar 28, 2012
- India ready to play its part in overcoming ongoing global slowdown: Singh - Jun 15, 2009
- Avoid political disruptions, India urges BRICS (Lead) - Mar 29, 2012
- India gears up to host BRICS summit in March - Dec 23, 2011
- BRICS source of stability in time of recession: PM - Dec 15, 2011
- BRICS summit to focus on fixing global recession: India - Jan 31, 2012
- Hu to attend Nuclear Security and BRICS summits, visit Cambodia - Mar 19, 2012
- BRICS can transform global governance: India - Mar 05, 2012
- World economic recovery uneven, says Chinese Trade Minister - Apr 13, 2011
- BRICS academics to flesh out agenda for summit - Mar 03, 2012
- BRICS to sign pacts for trade in local currencies - Mar 26, 2012
- India, China, Russia pitch for Afghan stability; back dialogue on Syria (Lead) - Apr 13, 2012
- BRICS to sign unique pact at Sanya to use own currencies for lending and grants - Apr 13, 2011
- BRICS credit: Local currencies to replace dollar - Apr 14, 2011
- Pakistani PM to attend SCO summit in Russia - Nov 01, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,