Brazilian oil giant to build world’s largest ethanol plantAugust 19th, 2011 - 12:06 pm ICT by IANS
Sao Paulo, Aug 19 (IANS/EFE) Brazilian state-controlled oil giant Petrobras and private sugar and ethanol group Sao Martinho said they planned to build an ethanol plant with the capacity to produce 700 million liters of the biofuel annually.
“The plant will surely be the world’s largest sugarcane ethanol distillery,” Nova Fronteira Energia chief Fabio Venturelli told the official Agencia Brasil news agency.
Nova Fronteira Energia is the joint venture created to run the plant.
The oil giant’s Petrobras Biocombustivel unit and Sao Martinho plan to invest 520.7 million reais (about $328.9 million) in the project, which will expand the crushing capacity of the Boa Vista sugarcane processing plant in Quirinopolis, a city in Goias state.
The project is aimed at increasing the crushing capacity at Boa Vista from 2.3 million metric tonnes of sugarcane at present to 8 million metric tonnes by the 2014-15 harvest.
Of the total investment, 430.5 million reais (about $271.9 million) will be allocated for the purchase of industrial equipment and the rest for agricultural development, the head of Petrobras’ fuels division, Miguel Rosseto, said.
Some 70 percent of the funds will come from the state-owned BNDES development bank, the country’s main development institution, Venturelli said.
The plant also will generate 600,000 megawatt-hours of electricity and create 3,000 jobs.
Petrobras Biocombustivel plans to invest close to $1.9 billion through 2015 and achieve production of 5.6 billion liters of ethanol that year.
- Brazil to make sugarcane fuel - Jul 23, 2010
- Spanish firm cuts energy deal in Brazil - Sep 14, 2012
- Brazilian oil giant to invest $11 bn in Mexico - Aug 01, 2011
- Brazilian firm makes offshore crude find - Mar 21, 2012
- Brazilian firm creates petrochemicals giant - Jan 23, 2010
- Brazil's gasoline imports to rise - Aug 27, 2012
- Brazilian oil firm says refining shortfall to last until 2013 - Mar 15, 2012
- Loss of permit in Argentina a surprise: Petrobras - Apr 05, 2012
- Brazil says offshore find holds high-grade oil - Aug 15, 2012
- Brazil to invest $540 bn in energy projects - May 06, 2010
- Toyota to invest $500 mn in Brazil - Aug 09, 2012
- Brazil oil giant announces new find - Aug 04, 2012
- Plan to build electric motorcycles in Brazil - Aug 09, 2011
- Chinese oil firm eyes investments in Brazil - Oct 13, 2011
- Brazil oil giant's reserves' rise - Jan 13, 2012
Tags: agricultural development, biocombustivel, biofuel, boa vista, brazilian state, development institution, ethanol distillery, fabio, fronteira, fuels division, liters, megawatt hours, metric tonnes, news agency, oil giant, petrobras, reais, sao martinho, sugarcane ethanol, venturelli