Brazilian firm finds offshore oil, gas fieldsJuly 6th, 2011 - 11:47 am ICT by IANS
Rio de Janeiro, July 6 (IANS/EFE) Oil giant Petrobras said it found two new offshore oil and gas fields in a deepwater area in the Espirito Santo basin, some 115 km off the coast of southeast Brazil.
The reserves are at a depth of 1,900 meters in the Pe-de-moleque and Quindim wells, the state-controlled company said.
Other reserves were discovered a few weeks ago in the Brigadeiro well in the same block, where Petrobras holds a 65 percent stake, Shell has a 20 percent interest and Inpex Petroleo Santos has a 15 percent stake.
The wells are located 115 km from Vitoria, the capital of the southeastern state of Espirito Santo, Petrobras said, without specifying their production potential.
Located in a roughly 160,000 sq. km offshore area, the fields are estimated to contain roughly 80 billion barrels of oil equivalent and could potentially transform Brazil into a major crude exporter.
Accessing them, however, will be extremely costly and will pose an enormous technical challenge because they are located at depths of up to 7,000 meters.
- Brazilian oil giant makes new deep-water find - Jul 13, 2012
- Brazil says offshore find holds high-grade oil - Aug 15, 2012
- Chevron to cap, abandon leaking Brazil oil well - Nov 16, 2011
- Brazil oil giant announces new find - Aug 04, 2012
- Chevron faces $25 mn fine for Brazil oil spill - Jul 20, 2012
- Brazilian firm makes offshore crude find - Mar 21, 2012
- Brazilian firm announces new deepwater oil find - Apr 30, 2011
- Petrobras finds oil signs during deepwater exploration - Oct 28, 2010
- Greenpeace protests Chevron oil spill off Brazil - Nov 19, 2011
- Brazilian oil giant announces contracts worth $4.5 bn - Jul 21, 2012
- Brazil to auction new oil blocks in 2013 - Sep 20, 2012
- Brazilian police question Chevron's oil clean-up - Nov 21, 2011
- Chinese oil firm eyes investments in Brazil - Oct 13, 2011
- Brazilian firm makes oil find - Feb 05, 2012
- Brazilian firm makes deepwater oil find - Aug 27, 2012
Tags: brazilian firm, brigadeiro, controlled company, efe, enormous technical challenge, inpex, offshore area, offshore oil, oil and gas, oil equivalent, oil gas, oil giant, pe de moleque, petrobras, production potential, quindim, rio de janeiro, southeast brazil, southeastern state, vitoria