Brazil to build five submarines with France helpAugust 24th, 2009 - 4:11 am ICT by IANS
Sao Paulo, Aug 24 (EFE) Brazil will build five submarines in collaboration with France to protect its vast off shore oil reserves in the Amazon region, a media report said Sunday.
The Folha de Sao Paulo newspaper said President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva has already approved the submarine project prepared by the defence ministry.
Brazil will also build a nuclear submarine as part of the project, it said.
The ministry also plans to set up of a joint general staff comprising personnel from the army, navy and the air force to protect the region. The proposal, which is already cleared by the president, will now be submitted to the Congress.
The government has invested nearly $30 billion to boost its defence industry.
- Ex-Brazilian president fears losing voice - Mar 31, 2012
- Brazil's ex-president discharged from hospital - Feb 18, 2012
- Former Brazil president Lula diagnosed with cancer - Oct 30, 2011
- Brazil to spend $3.4 bn for amphibious armoured vehicles - Nov 28, 2009
- Former Brazil president Lula has cancer - Oct 29, 2011
- Brazil cabinet minister quits - Feb 03, 2012
- Lula biopic to represent Brazil at Oscars - Sep 24, 2010
- Brazil jobless rate lowest in 8 years - Dec 18, 2010
- 'Bio-fuel units in Amazon will reduce climate damage' - May 09, 2010
- Brazil to launch bullet train soon - Jul 15, 2010
- Brazil announces $880 bn infrastructure plan - Mar 30, 2010
- Brazil aims to reduce CO2 emissions by 40 percent - Nov 15, 2009
- US, Brazil agree to closer defence ties - Apr 10, 2012
- Brazil, US sign military cooperation pact - Apr 13, 2010
- Chinese oil firm eyes investments in Brazil - Oct 13, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,