Brazil jobless rate lowest in 8 yearsDecember 18th, 2010 - 12:14 pm ICT by IANS
Rio de Janeiro, Dec 18 (IANS/EFE) Brazil’s unemployment rate dipped to 5.7 percent last month, the lowest level since March 2002, authorities said.The jobless total fell 0.4 percent from October and was down significantly from the November 2009 figure of 7.4 percent.
Brazil’s official unemployment rate is computed on the basis of the number of jobseekers in the country’s six main metropolitan regions: Sao Paulo, Rio de Janeiro, Belo Horizonte, Salvador, Recife and Porto Alegre.
The size of the working population has grown 3.7 percent in those six areas so far this year, according to the latest report of the IBGE statistics institute.
The median unemployment rate for the first 11 months of 2010 was 6.9 percent, compared with 8.2 percent in the same period last year, the IBGE said Friday.
Brazil’s economy generated upwards of 2.5 million new jobs in the first 11 months of this year, 7.7 percent more than during all of 2009, the labour ministry said Thursday.
The statistic covers only formal employment with benefits and social security contributions.
President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva’s job-creation target for 2010 was 2.5 million net new positions.
- Brazil's jobless rate hits nine-year low - Dec 23, 2011
- Brazil's unemployment falls to 7.5 percent - Nov 27, 2009
- Brazilian economy creates 2.5 mn new jobs - Dec 17, 2010
- Five cities hold 25 percent of Brazil's national wealth - Dec 15, 2011
- Brazil's accumulated GDP slows - Jun 04, 2011
- Brazilian agribusiness faces shrinking global demand - Aug 08, 2012
- Brazil expecting record grain harvest - Aug 10, 2012
- Brazilian economy grew 2.7 percent in 2011 - Mar 07, 2012
- Violence causes over 25 percent of teen deaths in Brazil - Jul 19, 2012
- Infrastructure on track for 2014 World Cup in Brazil - Sep 15, 2011
- Brazil's inflation hits 6.64 percent - Dec 09, 2011
- Lowered inflation may spur growth: Brazil - Apr 06, 2012
- Brazil's unemployment rate reaches record low - Jan 27, 2012
- Brazil displacing poor ahead of World Cup, Olympics: UN official - Apr 27, 2011
- Brazil created record 2.52 mn new jobs in 2010 - Jan 20, 2011
Tags: belo horizonte, efe, formal employment, ibge, job creation, jobless rate, jobseekers, labour ministry, luiz inacio lula da silva, lula da silva, metropolitan regions, new jobs, porto alegre, president luiz inacio lula, president luiz inacio lula da silva, recife, rio de janeiro, social security contributions, target, unemployment rate