Brazil expecting record grain harvestAugust 10th, 2012 - 1:14 pm ICT by IANS
Rio de Janeiro, Aug 10 (IANS/EFE) Brazil will reap a record grain harvest of 163.3 million tonnes this year, a gain of 2 percent over 2011, a statistics agency said.
The IBGE statistics agency’s latest forecast, based on July data, is 1.6 percent higher than the previous projection.
The upward revision is due mainly to improved prospects for the maize crop, which is now expected to come in at 71.5 million tonnes, up 27 percent from last year.
Despite weather-related losses in the first half of 2012, the IBGE expects a bumper maize harvest thanks to improving environmental conditions and an expansion of 9.6 percent in land under cultivation.
“These numbers reflect the good prices the product is finding in the market, which makes the growers opt for cultivation and increases investment in technology,” the IBGE said.
Global maize prices are rising due to crop losses in drought-stricken areas of the US.
The soy harvest, however, is expect to fall 12.2 percent to 65.8 million tonnes because of unfavourable weather, while the rice crop is projected to shrink by 14.9 percent from last year, mainly as a result of less land under cultivation.
Maize, soy and rice together account for 91 percent of crop output in Brazil, one of the world’s leading agricultural producers and exporters.
Half of the 26 crops tracked by the IBGE are forecast to enjoy bigger harvests in 2012, including cotton, up 4.9 percent; oats, 13.5 percent; and barley, gaining 15.6 percent.
The IBGE is projecting declines in output of sugarcane and wheat, among other products.
- Brazilian agribusiness faces shrinking global demand - Aug 08, 2012
- Brazil expecting near-record harvest - Mar 10, 2010
- Brazilian economy grew 2.7 percent in 2011 - Mar 07, 2012
- Brazil's accumulated GDP slows - Jun 04, 2011
- Chilean analysts see higher copper prices in 2012 - May 04, 2012
- Brazil's gasoline imports to rise - Aug 27, 2012
- Global food prices drop - Jun 08, 2012
- Bankers revise Brazil's growth outlook downward - Dec 27, 2011
- China's 2011 grain output reaches 571 mn tonnes - Dec 02, 2011
- Brazil jobless rate lowest in 8 years - Dec 18, 2010
- Five cities hold 25 percent of Brazil's national wealth - Dec 15, 2011
- `Brazil's economic slowdown is temporary' - Dec 07, 2011
- Brazil's jobless rate hits nine-year low - Dec 23, 2011
- Brazil has second largest grain harvest in its history - Sep 09, 2009
- Indian recovery seen pushing global wheat output 3.4 percent - Mar 24, 2011
Tags: 163, 5 million, agricultural producers, barley, crop losses, crops, declines, efe, environmental conditions, grain harvest, harvests, ibge, maize crop, oats, rice crop, rio de janeiro, statistics agency, stricken areas, sugarcane, upward revision