Brazil boosts 2010 growth forecastMarch 12th, 2010 - 11:14 am ICT by IANS
Brasilia, March 12 (IANS/EFE) The Brazilian government has raised its projection for economic growth this year from 5.2 percent to more than 5.7 percent.
“The vigour the economy had (pre-recession) was fully resumed. Growth will be better than 5.7 percent,” Finance Minister Guido Mantega told a press conference here Thursday.
Mantega called a 5.7 percent expansion “sustainable” and said Brazil will enjoy “quality growth” thanks to increased investment and a recovery of manufacturing.
Latin America’s biggest economy surged 4.3 percent in the fourth quarter of 2009 and is on course to continue growing, the minister said.
Noting domestic consumption’s major role in GDP, he cited January’s retail sales figures, which were up 2.7 percent from December and 10.4 percent from January 2009, as a reason for optimism.
The finance minister said last year’s 0.2 percent decline in GDP was “reasonable”, given the severity of the global economic crisis, which did far less damage in Brazil than in many other countries.
If Mantega’s optimistic forecast holds up, 2010 will see Brazil’s best economic performance since 2007, when GDP increased 6 percent.
- `Brazil withstanding worst year of global crisis' - Aug 31, 2012
- Brazil cuts taxes to spur growth - Dec 02, 2011
- Brazil's economy grows at fastest clip in 15 months - Aug 18, 2012
- Brazilian central bank lowers growth forecast - Jun 29, 2012
- Brazil eyes 1.6 mn new jobs in 2010 - Jan 22, 2010
- Brazil will soon be world's No.5 economy: Minister - Dec 28, 2011
- `Brazil ready to tackle ripple effects of eurozone crisis' - May 23, 2012
- No short-term solution to economic crisis: Brazil - Jul 05, 2012
- Lowered inflation may spur growth: Brazil - Apr 06, 2012
- Brazil's economy will grow five percent in 2010: Minister - Feb 05, 2010
- Brazilian government sees economy expanding through 2014 - Feb 14, 2012
- Brazilian economy creates 2.5 mn new jobs - Dec 17, 2010
- Brazil's economy growing again, says finance chief - Sep 20, 2012
- Brazil's inflation rate may exceed 6.5 percent in 2011 - Dec 23, 2011
- Brazilian finance minister upbeat about economy - Nov 24, 2011
Tags: brazil, brazilian government, decline, domestic consumption, economic growth, economic performance, economy, efe, finance minister, fourth quarter, gdp, global economic crisis, guido mantega, latin america, optimism, quality growth, recession, retail sales figures, severity, vigour