Brand magic: Bihar laps up ‘Lalu mango’June 18th, 2008 - 11:33 am ICT by IANS
Patna, June 18 (IANS) Ever heard of the ‘Lalu mango’? Well, it’s just the good old Digha mango with a new name, but the brand is doing wonders for mango sellers in Bihar. Some bulk traders have renamed the sweet Digha mango variety after Railway Minister and former chief minister Lalu Prasad, and it is a marketing strategy that has paid off deliciously.
“Lalu mango is nothing but a move to draw mango lovers to brand Lalu,” said Bhola Singh, a trader.
A sticker on each fruit carries the Lalu name and it sells for about Rs.35 a kg. The variety is grown in Digha, close to Patna.
Raju, another trader, said: “Buyers always want something new, so we decided to rename the Digha mango as Lalu mango. This proves that brand Lalu is still popular and there is a demand for it.”
Given the popularity of Lalu mangoes, some traders are even planning to send them outside Bihar. Traders say millions of migrant labourers from the state work in almost all states across India and the Lalu mango would be a hit among them.
This is the first time that a mango has been named after Lalu, but this is certainly not the first time that the name has turned out to be a money-spinner.
Two years ago, Lalu rakhis proved to be a sellout. Last year, Lalu crackers were a big hit in the Diwali market and Holi revellers this year lapped up Lalu water spray guns and other items.
Lalu chocolates, launched in the rural pockets of northern Bihar, have also found many takers. Shopkeepers insist that children simply love ‘Lalu ka Khazana’ chocolates by a New Delhi-based company a few years ago.
- Nitish, Lalu, Paswan rakhis a hit in Bihar - Aug 23, 2010
- No Lalu rockets, Nitish patakas this Diwali - Oct 24, 2011
- Lalu bombs, Nitish bombs... It's Diwali in Bihar! - Nov 04, 2010
- Anna Hazare tops rakhi charts in Bihar - Aug 12, 2011
- Set off Nitish, Lalu and Paswan firecrackers this Diwali! - Oct 16, 2009
- Mango madness: Bhopal fetes king of fruit - Jun 30, 2011
- Like Mamata, mango mania hits town (Eating Out With IANS) - May 27, 2011
- Bihar ruling party legislator accused in liquor trader's killing - May 27, 2012
- Ex-RJD MP's relative among two killed in Patna - Jul 10, 2012
- No surprise that Nitish is back in flourishing Bihar (Letter from Patna) - Nov 24, 2010
- Mango festival inaugurated in Delhi - Jul 02, 2010
- FIR against Lalu for violating code of conduct - Nov 01, 2010
- Mango festival in Haryana's Pinjore gardens - Jun 23, 2011
- Chocolate free kick or kolaveri di? Sweet makeover for sandesh (Feature, With Images) - Mar 19, 2012
- Mango Festival at Delhi airport - Jun 02, 2010
Tags: bhola, chief minister, crackers, diwali, holi, laps, mango, marketing strategy, migrant labourers, money spinner, New Delhi, northern bihar, pockets, popularity, prasad, railway minister, revellers, sellout, spray guns, water spray