Brand Kerala shines at Spanish tourism fairJanuary 24th, 2012 - 6:06 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, Jan 24 (IANS) Visitors were swept off their feet as Kerala Tourism unfolded its mesmerising grandeur at the just-concluded International Tourism Trade Fair (FITUR) 2012 in Spain, with visitors and trade professionals showing tremendous interest in ‘Brand Kerala’, an official said here Tuesday.
FITUR 2012 show at Madrid, a meeting point of tourism professionals from all over the world, is considered the second biggest gathering of travel and tourism players with around 13,000 exhibitors from 170 nations.
The Kerala Tourism pavilion, built on the theme of ‘Backwater with Chinese Fishing Nets’ and spread over 58.5 sq metres, whipped up a lot of excitement at the five-day travel show which concluded Sunday.
Kerala Tourism Secretary T.K. Manoj Kumar, who led the state’s delegation, said the fair threw open a sea of opportunities for Kerala Tourism players, if the response at the mega event was any indication.
“The travel professionals showed keen interest in learning more about Kerala as it turned out to be a right platform to energise and consolidate business and forge new trade alliances,” said Manoj Kumar.
The stall showcased the entire range of Kerala’s natural beauty — serene beaches, emerald backwaters, hill stations, exotic wildlife and palms — as also houseboats, enchanting art forms, cuisine and folk arts, triggering huge interest among both the industry operators and the public.
The arrival of international tourists into Kerala grew from 6.50 lakh in 2010 to 7.3 lakh in 2011.
The number of domestic tourists grew from 85 lakh in 2010 to 93 lakh in 2011 and on the revenue side, the total foreign exchange earnings grew by 11.18 percent to touch Rs.4,221 crore, while the total earnings grew 9.40 percent to reach Rs.19,037 crore.
Spain remains a crucial market for the state with huge potential. The total arrivals from Spain in 2010 were 10,658.
A road show for Kerala tourism was held in Marseille (France) Tuesday and another is planned in Berlin (Germany) Jan 26.
- Kerala best tourist destination, shows survey - Feb 18, 2012
- Kerala chosen best tourism destination second year running - Feb 18, 2012
- British sub-centre in Kerala to boost tourism - Jan 19, 2012
- Kerala records rise in tourist arrivals - Jan 19, 2012
- Kerala open to setting up motor racetrack - Apr 26, 2012
- F1 race track in Kerala will boost tourism: Narain Karthikeyan (Lead) - Apr 26, 2012
- Kerala Tourism wins prestigious award - Jan 22, 2011
- Cuba to increase hotel capacity - May 10, 2012
- Kerala woos tourists from Scandinavian countries - Nov 20, 2011
- Sachin, Waugh, Deepika to be Kerala Tourism ambassadors? - May 07, 2012
- Kerala Tourism to hold first-ever road show in Saudi Arabia - May 04, 2012
- India gets its second international art fair - Apr 27, 2011
- Kerala pavilion wins award at London travel mart - Nov 10, 2011
- Kumari Selja inaugurates India tourism pavilion in Spain - Jan 21, 2010
- Fifth India Art Fair from Jan 31 - Jul 18, 2012
Tags: backwaters, day travel, domestic tourists, enchanting art, exchange earnings, fishing nets, fitur, industry operators, international tourism, international tourists, lakh, manoj kumar, serene beaches, sq metres, tourism fair, tourism professionals, tourism secretary, tourism trade, trade professionals, travel show