BP sued over gulf oil spillDecember 16th, 2010 - 9:31 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Washington DC, Dec 16 (THAINDIAN NEWS) The US Justice Department has sued BP and several other companies for their role in the biggest oil spill in the history of the United States. The lawsuit was filed on Wednesday.
The Justice Department is seeking billions of dollars in damages from BP and eight other companies that worked on the ill fated well that gushed millions of barrels of oil into the Gulf of Mexico.
The US government has accused BP and the other companies of failing to follow federal regulations on drilling. The government believes that the violation led to the April 20 explosion that eventually led to the spillage.
The Justice Department is also carrying separate investigations into the conduct of BP before, during and after the spill. If the oil giant is found to have caused the spill due to its neglect, BP will also be made to pay more in damages as well.
The US government is suing, Transocean Holdings LLC; Anadarko Exploration & Production LP; MOEX Offshore 2007 LLC; Anadarko Petroleum Corp. ;Triton Asset Leasing GMBH ; Transocean Offshore Deepwater Drilling Inc.; Transocean Deepwater Inc.; and Transocean’s insurer, QBE Underwriting Ltd./Lloyd’s Syndicate 1036.
- Transocean gives bonuses for 'safety' after Gulf of Mexico oil spill - Apr 04, 2011
- Alabama Transports BP And Other Entities To Court Over The Oil Seepage In The Gulf Of Mexico - Aug 16, 2010
- BP sues Cameron, Deepwater Horizon owner Transocean over Gulf of Mexico oil spill - Apr 21, 2011
- US blames BP's poor decisions for Gulf oil spill - Sep 15, 2011
- "Poor safety culture" onboard Deepwater Horizon led to last year's massive Gulf oil spill - Apr 23, 2011
- BP To Clear Oil Spill, Cost Too Heavy - May 04, 2010
- BP releases a 193 page investigative report into the Gulf oilrig mishap - Sep 09, 2010
- Brazil seeking $10 bn from Chevron for oil spill - Dec 16, 2011
- BP seeks to resume drilling in Gulf of Mexico - Apr 04, 2011
- US to lease out Gulf of Mexico chunk for oil drilling - Jan 27, 2012
- BP's 'cost-cutting decisions' blamed for 'avoidable' Gulf of Mexico oil spill - Jan 06, 2011
- Investigation begins into Gulf of Mexico oil spill - May 11, 2010
- Investigation report blames failure of 'blowout preventer' for Gulf of Mexico oil spill - Mar 24, 2011
- US allows BP to drill new Gulf deepwater wells - Oct 22, 2011
- US terms reports of BP resuming Gulf of Mexico drilling as 'misconception' - Apr 05, 2011
Tags: anadarko petroleum, anadarko petroleum corp, bp, deepwater drilling, exploration production, gulf of mexico, gulf oil, history of the united states, insurer, moex, neglect, oil giant, oil spill, spillage, transocean, transocean offshore, transocean offshore deepwater drilling inc, triton, us government, us justice department