BP sells operation in Colombia

August 4th, 2010 - 11:17 am ICT by IANS  

Bogota, Aug 4 (IANS/EFE) Colombian state oil company Ecopetrol S.A. and Canadian firm Talisman have reached an agreement to buy the Colombia operation of BP Plc for $1.75 billion.
The deal for BP Exploration Company Colombia Limited includes all of the Britain-based multinational’s assets in the Andean nation, Ecopetrol said in a statement.

Ecopetrol will have a 51 percent interest, with the remaining 49 percent going to Talisman.

BP Exploration Colombia which has an estimated 94 million barrels in reserves currently produces around 24,000 barrels per day.

“I am really pleased with this deal. It fits into our strategic plan perfectly, bringing new reserves, production and potential areas for our exploratory portfolio,” Ecopetrol CEO Javier Gutierrez said.

Ecopetrol, Latin America’s fifth-largest oil company, accounts for 60 percent of Colombian production and also has a presence in Brazil, Peru and the US.

Talisman began operating in Colombia more than a decade ago and has stakes in 14 exploration and production blocks in the Andean nation, two of them in partnership with Ecopetrol.

–IANS/EFE

hv/rd

Related Stories

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in Business |

Subscribe