BP cuts claim payments to 40,000July 12th, 2010 - 9:49 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Washington DC, July 12 (THAINDIAN NEWS) There is a new twist in the ongoing oil spill saga that has plagued the Gulf of Mexico. BP has reduced the number of applications submitted by residents of the Gulf, who have been affected by the oil spill. The oil company has says this became necessary as a result of “paperwork problems”.
This comes as a major blow to families and residents of the Gulf whose sources of livelihood have been destroyed by the oil spill. Most of these people depended on fishing and are struggling to survive now.
Originally 99,508 people filed for compensation claims but this number has been reduced to 40,000 and even the “chosen ones” will not be receiving as much money as they requested for. “This action is irresponsible and in complete contrast to BP’s repeated promise that they will ‘make things right,’” according to Louisiana’s Department of Children and Family Services secretary - Kristy Nichols.
The Deepwater Horizon rig owned by BP had a blast on April 20, which led to the death of 11 workers working at the rig at that time. Lots of ideas have been given to help curb the oil spill but so far, the oil company has refused to listen. They have been using their own cleanup methods, which have yielded little results so far.
- British Petroleum (BP) Cuts Claim Payments Citing Improper Paper Works - Jul 12, 2010
- US allows BP to drill new Gulf deepwater wells - Oct 22, 2011
- BP to pay $7.8 bn to victims of oil spill - Mar 05, 2012
- US terms reports of BP resuming Gulf of Mexico drilling as 'misconception' - Apr 05, 2011
- BP To Start Top Kill To Stop Oil Spill Further - May 25, 2010
- US blames BP's poor decisions for Gulf oil spill - Sep 15, 2011
- BP sues Cameron, Deepwater Horizon owner Transocean over Gulf of Mexico oil spill - Apr 21, 2011
- Transocean gives bonuses for 'safety' after Gulf of Mexico oil spill - Apr 04, 2011
- BP has paid $5 bn to people affected by oil spill - Aug 24, 2011
- BP calls for changes in oil exploration methods - Jun 04, 2010
- Legal fight between Kevin Costner and Stephen Baldwin over BP deal for oil spill clean-up device - Jun 05, 2012
- US to lease out Gulf of Mexico chunk for oil drilling - Jan 27, 2012
- President Barack Obama Lashes Out At BP In His Oval Office Speech - Jun 16, 2010
- Cleanup to resume at US oil spill - Jul 25, 2010
- Fishermen Community Left Unimpressed By The Oval Office Speech Of President Obama - Jun 16, 2010
Tags: bp, cleanup methods, compensation claims, fishing, gulf of mexico, horizon, kristy, livelihood, louisiana, much money, new twist, oil company, oil spill, paperwork problems, rig, saga, washington dc