Botswana world’s top diamond producer in 2010August 4th, 2011 - 12:16 pm ICT by IANS
Johannesburg, Aug 4 (IANS) Botswana regained in 2010 the spot of the world’s biggest rough diamond producer by value, after it had slipped to second place in 2009, says latest official statistics.
In 2009, local miner Debswana - a joint venture between Be Beers and the Botswana government - had slashed production due to the global economic downturn.
According to statistics release by the Kimberley Process, a UN certified scheme, despite Russia producing more rough diamonds in 2010 at 34 million carats worth around $2.38 billion, Botswana’s 22 million carats mined in 2010 were worth around $2.59 billion — $210 million dollars more than Russia.
Russia became the top producer by volume. It had held the top spot for both categories in 2009, Xinhua reported.
In 2011, Debswana plans to produce 25 million carats.
The Kimberley Process is a joint government, industry and civil society initiative to stem the flow of conflict diamonds - rough diamonds used by rebel movements to finance wars against legitimate governments.
It has 49 members - representing 75 countries - with the European Community and its member states counting as an individual participant.
Other top diamond producers by volume in 2010 included the Democratic Republic of Congo with 20.17 million carats, South Africa with 13.67 million carats, Canada with 11.8 million carats, Zimbabwe with 8.44 million carats and Angola with 8. 36 million carats.
- De Beers to reduce diamond production - Jul 21, 2012
- Russia exported $4 bn worth diamonds: India major buyer - Mar 23, 2012
- Diamond mine walls collapse in Botswana - Jun 30, 2012
- World's largest diamond producer seeks training in India - Feb 07, 2010
- India's vice president goes to Botswana in search of diamonds - Jan 09, 2010
- Massive diamond unearthed from Lesotho mine - Sep 09, 2010
- Rare Golconda diamonds on sale at Christie's - Apr 02, 2011
- New diamond sourcing company in Surat - Aug 17, 2010
- Zambian emeralds dazzle Indian buyers - Mar 22, 2011
- Zimbabwe resumes sale of controversial Chiadzwa diamonds - Aug 11, 2010
- J.Lo shows off $5m worth rocks at Golden Globes - Jan 18, 2011
- Inside the world's largest diamond-sorting facility - Oct 07, 2009
- Botswana diamond exports triple - Apr 12, 2012
- Zimbabwe nets $71 mn from diamond auction - Aug 12, 2010
- Big pink diamond found, to be cut as single stone - Feb 21, 2012
Tags: beers, botswana government, carats, conflict diamonds, democratic republic of congo, diamond producer, economic downturn, government industry, kimberley process, legitimate governments, member states, official statistics, rebel movements, republic of congo, rough diamond, rough diamonds, russia russia, society initiative, top producer, xinhua