Bose speakers firm founder no longer worth a billionMarch 29th, 2009 - 8:06 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, March 29 (IANS) Amar Bose, the Indian American founder-chairman of the famed speakers company Bose Corporation, has dropped off the Forbes magazine’s list of the world’s billionaires.
Bose faced a similar fate in the recent economic downturn, according to the Worcester Business Journal. In the September 2007 list of the richest Americans, Forbes put his net worth at $1.8 billion.
By the same time in 2008, that was down to $1.5 billion. Now the wealth held by the former MIT assistant professor has apparently fallen below $1 billion.
According to Forbes, he is believed to own a 60 percent stake in Bose Corp., which, like many companies, has been going through difficult times in recent months.
In January, the company announced it would cut 10 percent of its workforce, or about 1,000 jobs.
Bose is not alone. Forbes reports that the average worth of the world’s billionaires has dropped 23 percent over the past year. The total number of billionaires dropped from 1,125 to 793.
- Two IITians among 400 richest Americans - Sep 22, 2011
- Mexican Carlos Slim tops world's rich list - Mar 11, 2010
- Thai Indian entrepreneur's wealth soars by 252 percent - Sep 02, 2010
- Lakshmi Mittal replaces Mukesh Ambani as world's richest Indian - Mar 10, 2011
- Forbes says Gates no longer the world's richest - Mar 11, 2010
- Four of Indian-origin among America's 400 super-rich - Sep 23, 2010
- Richest Indian Mukesh Ambani amongst Forbes top ten Billionaires - Mar 11, 2010
- Mukesh Ambani richest among 48 Indian billionaires - Mar 08, 2012
- Mexico's Carlos Slim tops Forbes' richest list - Mar 08, 2012
- Mukesh Ambani again tops list of richest Indians - Sep 30, 2010
- India's richest lost 20 percent of wealth: Forbes - Oct 27, 2011
- China billionaire rich list grows to 49 more - Oct 29, 2010
- Bill Gates stays richest American for 17th year in a row - Sep 23, 2010
- Wealth of 100 richest Indians pegged at $300 bn by Forbes - Sep 30, 2010
- Fifty Indians on Forbes' global billionaire club - Mar 10, 2011
Tags: 1 billion, amar bose, american founder, assistant professor, billionaires, bose corp, bose corporation, bose speakers, difficult times, economic downturn, fate, firm founder, forbes magazine, forbes reports, founder chairman, net worth, percent stake, richest americans, worcester business journal, workforce