Borlaug Institute to be set up for crop researchSeptember 30th, 2011 - 10:13 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 30 (IANS) The government Friday approved a proposal to set up the Borlaug Institute for South Asia (BISA) in the country to conduct research on wheat and maize crops.
“The union cabinet today approved to establish the Borlaug Institute for South Asia (BISA) in India,” an official statement said.
According to the statement, the proposal was sent to the union cabinet by the ministry of agriculture, on behalf of the International Maize and Wheat Improvement Centre (CIMMYT).
The institute will set up three centres in different locations across India, including Ludhiana, Pusa and Jabalpur.
The statement said that the institute would bring in state-of-the-art research facility and science.
“A major international R&D; (research and development) institution will make India a bigger centre for agricultural research and, in turn, may attract further R&D; investment in the country.”
The department of agricultural research and education (DARE) has been allocated as the authorised body to look into the establishment of the institute.
“DARE will be authorised to conclude the agreement/MOU between the government of India and CIMMYT,” the statement added.
BISA will also be conferred an international status under the respective clauses of the United Nations (Privileges and Immunities) Act, 1947.
- Three Borlaug institutes to come up in India - Oct 05, 2011
- Decks cleared for Borlaug Institute in Bihar - Feb 01, 2012
- Punjab gets Borlaug institute of agriculture - Oct 02, 2011
- Badal wants farm science institute in Punjab - Feb 24, 2010
- Lift curbs on research in biotech crops: Scientists - Feb 28, 2012
- New institute to usher second green revolution: PM - Aug 15, 2010
- Indian wins first Borlaug field research award - Aug 28, 2012
- Escalated cost of automobile testing centres approved - Apr 28, 2011
- Setting up of Unesco institute in India approved - Mar 15, 2011
- Regional centre for biotechnology gets cabinet nod - Oct 25, 2011
- Deadly plant plague threatens wheat production in Afghanistan, India and Pakistan - Jul 31, 2009
- 'In Borlaug's death, world has lost saviour of millions from hunger' - Sep 14, 2009
- Bill for agriculture university deferred - Dec 28, 2011
- New managing director takes charge of Samsung India - Jan 09, 2012
- Australian and Indian scientists collaborate to improve agricultural production - Feb 15, 2011
Tags: agricultural research, art research facility, bisa, borlaug, clauses, crop research, crops, development institution, government of india, improvement centre, international maize, ministry of agriculture, mou, New Delhi, privileges and immunities, research and development, South Asia, state of the art, union cabinet, wheat improvement