Boost for Odisha’s Dhamra port expansion planJuly 3rd, 2012 - 11:19 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, July 3 (IANS) The expansion plan of Odisha’s Dhamra port got a boost with authorities Tuesday successfully conducting a public hearing in a village near the port, an official said.
The hearing on environment impact assessment for second phase expansion was conducted by the State Pollution Control Board in Dosinga village in the Bhadrak district, about 170 km from Bhubaneswar.
The public hearing continued for more than four hours and passed off peacefully.
“This will pave the way for the company to get environment clearance for the expansion,” the port’s CEO Santosh Kumar Mohapatra told IANS.
Various issues relating to surrounding environment, marine life and livelihood improvement of the local fishing communities were discussed during the public hearing in the presence of senior district officials, he added.
The Dhamra Port is a 50:50 joint-venture between Larsen and Toubro (L&T;) and Tata Steel. It commenced commercial operation in May 6, 2011. In the first phase the port has built two fully mechanised berths with a capacity of nearly 20 million tonnes per annum.
In the expansion phase, the port plans to build 11 more berths over the next five years which will increase to port capacity to nearly 100 million tonnes per annum.
- Record discharge of cargo at Odisha's Dhamra Port - Mar 29, 2012
- New Orissa port receives first ultra-large vessel - Jul 25, 2011
- Trial operations for Dhamra Port this month - Sep 08, 2010
- Tata Steel hopes to save Rs.100 using Dhamra port - Jan 18, 2011
- JSPL begins commercial production at Odisha plant - Aug 28, 2012
- Court rejects Vedanta plea for alumina refinery expansion - Jul 19, 2011
- Missing boat will 42 pilgrims located, all passengers safe - Oct 07, 2010
- India successfully tests n-capable Agni-I missile (Lead) - Dec 01, 2011
- Court refuses to vacate stay on Odisha ports - May 14, 2012
- MoEF expert team visits Posco plant site in Odisha - Aug 21, 2012
- Expert team to submit report on Posco by October - Aug 23, 2012
- Essar Steel commissions Phase 1 of Odisha pellet plant - Apr 09, 2012
- 12 injured as villagers clash with police over port project - Dec 30, 2010
- Boat with 42 people missing in Bay of Bengal - Oct 07, 2010
- India launches bio-toilets for rural homes - Jun 24, 2012
Tags: 100 million, berths, district officials, environment clearance, environment impact assessment, expansion phase, expansion plan, joint venture, larsen and toubro, livelihood, mohapatra, next five years, phase expansion, pollution control board, port expansion, public hearing, santosh kumar, second phase, state pollution control board, tata steel