Bombardier’s railway production unit in India goes on streamNovember 12th, 2008 - 8:26 pm ICT by IANS
Savli (Vadodara), Nov 12 (IANS) US transportation and aviation major Bombardier Inc.’s Indian arm inaugurated here Wednesday India’s first fully foreign-owned railway coach manufacturing plant.Bombardier Transportation India (BTI), a subsidiary of Bombardier Inc, a Fortune 500 company, will manufacture coach shells and bogies in the new factory here, an industrial hub near Vadodara in the western India state of Gujarat.
The new manufacturing facility here will be the first large-scale rolling stock and bogies manufacturing site in India that is fully-owned by a foreign multinational company.
India has two indigenous state-owned coach manufacturing units, one at Perambur in Chennai (Integral Coach Factory) and another at Kapurthala in Punjab.
Initially, the unit will manufacture 340 Movia metro cars for the Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) and is also expected to shape up as an engineering centre for its global projects and for low-cost sourcing.
Present on the occasion were Gujarat chief minister Narendra Modi, Bombardier Inc.’s chairman Laurent Beaudoin, M. Ramachandran, Secretary in the union ministry of Urban Development and E. Sreedharan, managing director of Delhi Metro Rail Corporation.
The value of Movia metro cars to be assembled at the factory here is valued at 425 million Euros ($590 million or Rs.23.6 billion) and they will be delivered by 2010 so as to be in operation well in time before the New Delhi Commonwealth Games scheduled for October that year.
Bombardier already has a production site at Vadodara, Gujarat, which has been in operation since 1996 for the manufacture of a range of converters, electronic controls for trains, communications for three-phase propulsion technology, as well as circuit breakers and tap-changers.
Bombardier’s signalling office and software development centre are also located at Vadodara, where it develops software for signalling and traction applications, and caters to the software requirements of Bombardier Transportation worldwide.
- Delhi Metro orders 40 subway cars from Bombardier - Jul 24, 2010
- Bombardier Corporation rolls out rakes for metro trains - May 17, 2010
- Delhi Metro gets first car from Bombardier (Lead) - Feb 26, 2009
- Bombardier posts $220-million profit, BlackBerry sinks - Jun 02, 2011
- Bombardier inaugurates engineering centre in Bangalore - Apr 17, 2012
- Bombardier may provide 84 metro cars to Delhi Metro - Mar 29, 2008
- France's Thales eyes big in India's metro, rail projects - Apr 25, 2012
- Canada becomes first western nation to partner 'Vibrant Gujarat' - Jul 22, 2010
- France's Thales bets big on India's metro, rail projects - Apr 24, 2012
- ABB to invest Rs.250 crore on power products - Apr 23, 2012
- Bombardier's profits dip despite robust metro demand - Sep 02, 2010
- Mamata's railway measures to boost West Bengal economy - Feb 25, 2011
- Bombardier Aerospace to open service facility in Macon, Georgia - Feb 18, 2010
- Bengal woos industry amid mismanagement taint (West Bengal Newsletter) - Jan 15, 2012
- P&H; Joy to invest $25mn in Bengal mining equipment unit - Jan 11, 2012