Bolivia to invest nearly $125 mn in power projectsMarch 18th, 2010 - 11:24 am ICT by IANS
La Paz, March 18 (IANS/EFE) Bolivian President Evo Morales’s administration plans to invest $124.7 million this year in projects that will expand electricity generation and supply the domestic market, a minister said.
The projects are included in the energy ministry’s operating plan for 2010, said Energy Minister Luis Fernando Vincenti.
Among the projects whose development is slated to begin this year are six hydroelectric power plants located in the northern section of La Paz province, in the eastern province of Santa Cruz, in the central province of Cochabamba and in the northern province of Pando.
Officials, moreover, expect to start construction of three thermoelectric power plants located in La Paz and in the southern provinces of Tarija and Chuquisaca.
Funds appropriated for this year will also finance the geothermal project in Laguna Colorada, located in the Andean province of Potosi, and a biomass plant in Santa Cruz.
The government is giving priority to a wind-energy pilot project in the highlands of La Paz that will require investment of $2.3 million, Vincenti said.
Bolivia plans to export electricity to markets in neighbouring countries once its own domestic power needs are met, the energy minister said.
- Bolivia pursues hydro-power deal with China - Jul 30, 2012
- Jindal Steel to exit Bolivia's largest mining project - Jun 11, 2012
- Bolivia nationalises four power companies - May 02, 2010
- Bolivia cancels mining concession - Aug 03, 2012
- Spanish energy firm to invest $640 mn in Bolivia - Nov 24, 2011
- Spanish firm sells wind farms in Mexico for $89 mn - Apr 01, 2011
- 20 years after crash, pilot's body found in Bolivian Andes - Nov 11, 2010
- Japan, South Korea plan big oil investments in Venezuela - Apr 30, 2012
- 16 kids hurt by fireworks in El Salvador - Dec 26, 2011
- 15 dead in Bolivia accidents - Jun 25, 2010
- Jindal to export 1 mn tonnes of Bolivian iron ore in 2011 - Jan 21, 2011
- 28 dead, 44 hurt in Bolivia bus accident - Jun 28, 2010
- 'Blackmailing' Bolivian sugar factories may be nationalised - Mar 29, 2010
- Eight die in two plane crashes in Bolivia - Apr 23, 2012
- 1.74 bn tonnes of coal potential in Colombia: Brazilian firm - Mar 17, 2010
Tags: biomass plant, central province, chuquisaca, eastern province, electricity generation, energy minister, energy ministry, energy pilot, evo morales, geothermal project, hydroelectric power plants, neighbouring countries, northern province, pilot project, power projects, president evo morales, southern provinces, tarija, thermoelectric power plants, vincenti