Bolivia fines Chinese telecom supplier for breach of contractDecember 23rd, 2010 - 1:20 pm ICT by IANS
La Paz, Dec 23 (IANS/EFE) Bolivia has fined Chinese telecommunications equipment supplier Huawei $8 million for breach of contract, officials said.Public Works Minister Walter Delgadillo said Bolivian state telecommunications provider Entel collected on Huawei’s performance bond after the Chinese company failed to install equipment on schedule, Fides radio reported Tuesday on its web site.
Huawei was under contract to build radio base stations to cover additional population areas and it has not fulfilled those obligations, Delgadillo was quoted as saying.
EFE also received confirmation of the fine from Entel.
The Chinese company had been awarded a contract in October 2009 for Entel’s “Territory with Total Coverage” project, whose aim is to expand service to an additional 12,000 towns and 1.5 million people in rural areas.
President Evo Morales issued a decree nationalising Entel May 1, 2008, giving the Bolivian government a 97 percent stake in the country’s largest telecommunications firm.
The government paid Italy’s Telecom Italia’s $100 million last month in compensation for the 50 percent stake it previously held in Entel.
- Bolivia to buy satellite from Chinese firm - Dec 14, 2010
- Bolivia creates space agency for satellite project - Feb 11, 2010
- Bolivia nationalises Spanish-owned firm - May 02, 2012
- Bolivia nationalises four power companies - May 02, 2010
- Bolivia pursues hydro-power deal with China - Jul 30, 2012
- Jindal Steel to exit Bolivia's largest mining project - Jun 11, 2012
- Bolivia cancels mining concession - Aug 03, 2012
- Jindal to export 1 mn tonnes of Bolivian iron ore in 2011 - Jan 21, 2011
- Spanish energy firm to invest $640 mn in Bolivia - Nov 24, 2011
- Bolivian army to sell bread to prevent shortages - Jan 01, 2011
- Bolivia plans $1.73 bn in energy investments in 2011 - Dec 27, 2010
- Journalist siblings found slain in Bolivia - Feb 28, 2012
- Two mn Bolivians suffer severe hunger: UN - Dec 12, 2010
- Bolivia to invest $40 mn in new gas pipeline to Argentina - Mar 25, 2010
- China to help Bolivia launch satellite - Aug 11, 2011
Tags: 100 million, bolivian government, breach of contract, chinese company, chinese telecommunications, coverage project, delgadillo, efe, evo morales, la paz, performance bond, population areas, president evo morales, radio base stations, rural areas, state telecommunications, telecom italia, telecommunications equipment, telecommunications firm, telecommunications provider