Boeing receives P-8I equipment from Bharat ElectronicsDecember 23rd, 2010 - 9:15 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 23 (IANS) Boeing has received from Bharat Electronics Ltd a critical sensor equipment for identifying friendly and enemy planes that will be fitted in P-8I maritime patrol and anti-submarine warfare aircraft being produced by the US aerospace major for the Indian Navy.The Indian defence PSU delivered the Indian-designed Identification Friend or Foe Interrogator - a battle management system - last week. It will be installed by Boeing during P-8I’s final assembly at its facility in Washington, the aerospace major said in a statement.
“This delivery is another positive step in our industrial participation effort with India,” said Vivek Lall, vice president, Boeing Defense, Space and Security India.
Boeing will deliver the first of eight P-8I aircraft to India by early 2013 — 48 months after the original contract signing in January 2009.
India is the first international customer for the P-8 aircraft of Boeing. The P-8I is a variant of the P-8A Poseidon that Boeing designed and is building for the US Navy.
“In addition to supplying an essential technology for the Indian navy, Boeing’s partnership with BEL also supports the government of India’s industrial objectives,” Lall said.
Indian indigenous technology and equipment for P-8I also include BEL’s Data Link II communications system, Avantel’s mobile satellite system and the Electronic Corporation of India Limited’s (ECIL) speech secrecy system.
- Indian designed sensors delivered to Boeing for P-8I aircraft (Lead) - Dec 23, 2010
- Boeing gets equipment from BEL for Indian Navy aircraft - May 12, 2010
- Boeing begins assembly of India Navy's first P-8I aircraft (With Images) - Jun 22, 2011
- India-built sub-assembly on US Navy's combat planes - May 30, 2012
- Boeing sources wares from Indian firms for maritime aircraft - Dec 17, 2009
- Fully-loaded reconnaisance plane for India begins flight tests (With Image) - Jul 11, 2012
- Boeing confirms P-8A Poseidon airframe's structural integrity - Jan 21, 2011
- Second Boeing plane for Indian Navy completes first flight (with images) - Jul 17, 2012
- Boeing reconnaissance aircraft for Indian Navy completes first flight - Sep 29, 2011
- Work begins on Indian Navy's 1st P8I patrol aircraft - Dec 08, 2010
- Boeing completes design review for India's naval warfare plane - Jul 26, 2010
- Boeing in $4.5 mn deal with HAL for P-8I weapons bay doors - Feb 11, 2010
- Indian Navy to induct 24 long range maritime reconnaissance aircraft - Dec 05, 2011
- Vivek Lall quits Boeing, to join Indian aerospace company - Mar 17, 2011
- Boeing opens new Poseidon production facility - Nov 12, 2010
Tags: avantel, battle management, bharat electronics ltd, boeing defense, defense space, ecil, electronic corporation, enemy planes, essential technology, government of india, identification friend or foe, india limited, indian defence, indian navy, indigenous technology, industrial objectives, industrial participation, maritime patrol, mobile satellite system, sensor equipment