Boeing delivers its 777th 777 to Air FranceApril 11th, 2009 - 11:30 am ICT by IANS
New York, April 11 (IANS) Boeing reached a milestone Friday when it delivered its 777th Boeing 777 to Air France.
The French national carrier is among the top Boeing clients, including Singapore Airlines, Emirates Airline and United Airlines.
“It is a fitting tribute to the success of the programme that an industry leader such as Air France is taking delivery of our 777th 777,” a Boeing statement quoted Aldo Basile, its vice president for sales (Europe, Russia and Central Asia), as saying on the momentous occasion.
“The 777 continues to offer an unbeatable combination of efficiency, economics and passenger comfort that places it at the forefront of modern commercial aviation,” he said.
“The 777 has been a valuable asset to the long-haul fleet of Air France and it is the right aircraft to allow us to maximize our revenues in the most economic and efficient manner,” said Air France senior vice president Pierre Vellay on the milestone.
The new Boeing 777-300ER will be the first to bear a new Air France livery and company brand identity.
The French national carrier was also the first airline in the world to introduce the Boeing 777-300ER and the Boeing 777 Freighter.
Introduced in 1995, the Boeing 777s are the most successful twin-engine, twin-aisle airplane, with a range of more than 17,000 kilometres. Boeing says 56 customers have ordered over 1,100 Boeing 777s so far.
But with the global slowdown taking its toll on the aviation sector, Boeing had just a day before announced to cut monthly production of the 777 from seven to five from June 2010. It also announced to delay plans to increase the production of 747-8 and 767 planes.
- Chinese airline to buy 10 Boeing 777s - Feb 29, 2012
- Thai Airways orders six Boeing 777s in deal valued at $1.7 billion - Aug 19, 2011
- BOC Aviation orders eight Boeing 777-300ERs to lease them to Thai Airways International - Nov 03, 2010
- Boeing, Emirates announce $18-bn order for 50 777-300ERs - Nov 13, 2011
- Angola Airline orders two 777-300ER jetliners from Boeing - Apr 30, 2010
- TAAG Angola Airlines orders three aircraft from Boeing - Apr 03, 2012
- Emirates Airline becomes world's largest Boeing 777 operator - Jul 30, 2009
- Air Austral, Okay Airways and Qatar Airways order new Boeing aircraft - Jul 21, 2010
- Emirates signs over $13 bn deals at Farnborough airshow - Jul 20, 2010
- Singapore Airlines to offer phone calls, text messages and Wi-Fi Internet on long-haul flights - Oct 05, 2010
- Emirates Airlines to launch new flight to Washington - Mar 18, 2012
- Lufthansa to fly new B747-8 aircraft on India route - Jul 09, 2012
- Air India, IndiGo get new Airbus A320 aircraft (Lead) - Mar 03, 2010
- Boeing to deliver 100 aircraft to India in five years - Mar 14, 2012
- Etihad Airways buys stake in Virgin Australia - Jun 07, 2012
Tags: air france, air france new york, aviation sector, boeing 777 freighter, boeing 777s, boeing statement, brand identity, central asia, commercial aviation, emirates airline, fitting tribute, global slowdown, livery, momentous occasion, national carrier, pierre vellay, senior vice president, singapore airlines, unbeatable combination, united airlines