Boeing announces Dreamliner test flightsApril 30th, 2009 - 6:55 am ICT by IANS
San Francisco, April 30 (DPA) Test flights for the much-delayed Boeing Dreamliner are due to start in June and the first customers are on schedule to receive the plane in the first quarter of 2010, the US aviation company said Wednesday.
Test flights for the aircraft have been delayed for more than two years, but Boeing has now filed 60 percent of the paperwork needed for certification of the 787, Mike Delaney, chief project engineer of the 787 programme, said at a press conference.
Boeing will use six 787’s for the test flight programme, four of which will be powered by Rolls Royce engines and two of which will use engines made by General Electric. In total the test programme will include more than 3,000 air hours.
Some 900 Dreamliners have been ordered so far, making the mid-sized, wide-body jet the fastest-selling wide-body airliner in history. The planes cost about $200 million each and Japan’s All Nippon Airlines is slated to be the first customer.
Boeing expects the plane to be about 20 percent more fuel efficient than the Boeing 767 it is designed to replace.
- Boeing's first 787 Dreamliner set to fly - Aug 08, 2011
- First Dreamliner aircraft delivered to Air India in the US - Sep 06, 2012
- UAE airline places $2.8 bn order for Boeing planes - Dec 13, 2011
- India expects to induct first 787 Dreamliner this month - Aug 19, 2012
- World's most advanced Dreamliner jet to roll out soon - Jan 14, 2011
- Air India to get demo-trial on Boeing 787 next week - Jul 06, 2011
- Boeing's Dreamliner successfully completes maiden flight (Lead) - Dec 16, 2009
- Air India's first Dreamliner arrives after 4-year wait - Sep 08, 2012
- Air India Dreamliner engine failure during pre-delivery test - Aug 02, 2012
- Air India's Dreamliner to be in service from Sep 19 - Sep 12, 2012
- Boeing makes the delivery of the first batch of Dreamliner planes - Sep 26, 2011
- Boeing finds problem in 787 Dreamliners' tail - Jun 26, 2010
- Air India gets first Dreamliner from Nikki Haley's state - Apr 28, 2012
- Air India to get first 787 Dreamliner by 2011-end - Feb 09, 2011
- AI plans to use Dreamliner on domestic routes to cut cost - May 06, 2012
Tags: airliner, all nippon airlines, aviation company, boeing, boeing 767, boeing dreamliner, chief project, dpa, dreamliners, first quarter, general electric, mike delaney, paperwork, planes, project engineer, rolls royce, san francisco, test flight, test flights, test programme