Body recovered from boat wreck off Kerala coastMarch 5th, 2012 - 12:13 am ICT by IANS
Alappuzha (Kerala), March 4 (IANS) The body of a Kerala fisherman, who was on a boat allegedly rammed by a ship off the coast near here earlier in the week, was recovered by naval divers from the fishing vessel’s wreck on sea bed Sunday. The body was cremated in Kollam.
A defence spokesperson told IANS that a 10-member navy diving team from the Southern Naval Command reached the wreck of fishing vessel Don I late Saturday evening.
“The body of Santhosh was found this (Sunday) morning from the boat itself,” said the spokesperson, adding that it was handed over to his relatives.
The divers brought the body to the harbour near here by and it was shifted to a medical college. It was later taken to his home town in Kollam.
With the recovery of Santhosh’s body, the death toll in the accident has gone up to three. Two other fishermen of the boat are yet to be traced.
The Indian authorities suspect that a Singapore-flagged ship may have been responsible for the sinking of the boat.
Ship M.V. Prabhu Daya is suspected to be involved in the collision on the high sea with the fishing vessel Don-1, according to a directorate general of shipping (DGS) statement issued late Saturday night.
Accordingly to the DGS, the ship staff had agreed to divert to Chennai port for an inquiry. It is expected to reach Chennai Monday.
- Singapore ship suspected in Kerala boat accident - Mar 04, 2012
- MV Prabhu Daya enroute to Chennai, missing man rescued - Mar 05, 2012
- Man on board M.V.Prabhu Daya missing - Mar 04, 2012
- Probe report on boat hit-and-run likely Thursday - Mar 07, 2012
- Indian Coast Guard inspects M.V.Prabhu Daya - Mar 06, 2012
- M.V. Prabhu Daya crew charged in fishing boat ramming - Mar 07, 2012
- Third official of Prabhu Daya taken into custody - Mar 15, 2012
- Mid-sea collision: Ship captain sent to judicial custody - Mar 14, 2012
- Kerala boat hit-and-run: Cargo ship sailor arrested - Mar 08, 2012
- Two Indian fishermen mistaken for pirates, shot dead - Feb 16, 2012
- Two more get bail in ship hit-and-run case - Apr 10, 2012
- Kerala court grants bail to captain of Prabhu Daya vessel - Apr 03, 2012
- No clue of missing fishermen or hit and run ship - Mar 02, 2012
- My son was thrown out of MV Prabhu Daya: Father - Mar 08, 2012
- Foreign ships plying close to Indian coast warned - Mar 13, 2012
Tags: alappuzha, daya, death toll, defence spokesperson, dgs, diving team, fisherman, fishermen, high sea, indian authorities, kerala coast, late saturday evening, late saturday night, medical college, naval command, navy diving, prabhu, sea bed, ship staff, sunday morning