BMW planning mass production of e-vehicles by 2015June 10th, 2009 - 11:22 am ICT by IANS
Munich, June 10 (DPA) BMW has no plans for forming a partnership with other manufacturers on battery powered electric vehicles and has its own plans to mass-produce “megacity” e-vehicles by the year 2015, BMW CEO Norbert Reithofer has announced.
The car maker will decide by the end of the year whether to establish a subsidiary for the “megacity vehicles” alongside the current BMW, MINI and Rolls-Royce labels, according to Reithofer.
In contrast to other big car makers BMW has not undergone a partnership with a battery maker for electric vehicles.
“Electric engines are a key part of our technology which we want to develop ourselves,” the head of the research team Ulrich Kranz was quoted as saying by Germany’s auto-motor-sport magazine.
BMW is currently testing a fleet of 500 electric MINI vehicles in Los Angeles and Berlin which are leased to fleet owners for a year.
- Rolls-Royce returns to the city of Nizams - Dec 07, 2011
- Electric Car From BMW Coming Soon? - Nov 07, 2010
- Rolls-Royce bags $12.6-mn Indian order for buoy vessel - Aug 22, 2012
- Rolls-Royce finds cause of Qantas A380 engine failure - Nov 12, 2010
- Half of Rolls-Royce engines on world's A380 fleet need replacing: Qantas boss - Nov 18, 2010
- Rolls-Royce unveils latest model - Oct 05, 2011
- BMW issues recall on 198,000 vehicles in U.S. over brake problems - Oct 01, 2010
- Indian Maharajah's Rolls-Royce up for sale at 850,000 pounds - Apr 12, 2011
- BMW recalls 21,771 cars in China; Jaguar 30 - Oct 16, 2010
- Kate Middleton gets Jaguar fleet for wedding ceremony - Mar 20, 2011
- Udaipur's vintage Rolls-Royce wins US trophy (With Images) - Aug 20, 2012
- After all clear, Qantas to resume A380 flights to US - Jan 12, 2011
- Chinese automaker to develop electric car with US partner - Apr 26, 2012
- BMW to recall 198,000 cars in the US over brake issue - Oct 01, 2010
- BMW launches super salon, Mini - Jan 06, 2012
Tags: auto motor sport, berlin, big car, bmw, bmw mini, car maker, car makers, ceo, dpa, electric engines, electric vehicles, fleet owners, forming a partnership, magazine bmw, mass production, munich, norbert, rolls royce, sport magazine, subsidiary