‘Blueprints for phase-III of Delhi Metro await government nod’May 3rd, 2009 - 9:39 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 3 (IANS) Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) managing director E. Sreedharan Sunday said the proposal for phase-III of construction was awaiting approval from the state government.
Sreedharan, who was speaking at the DMRC’s 15th Foundation Day event held at Kamani Auditorium here, said the DMRC was “on track” for completing phase-II construction by October 2010 and had already submitted a blueprint to the Delhi government for the phase-III, covering 120 km.
“DMRC hopes to get clearances from the government soon so that phase-III can be started before phase-II is completed. This would help the organization utilize its present resources such as employees and contractors.”
According to a DMRC official, the third phase of construction, would connect the existing stations via a ‘ring road’ like framework.
Meanwhile construction on other stretches is also nearing completion. The Indraprastha to Yamuna Bank section will open May 10.
Other links like Yamuna Bank to Noida is slated to open in August, while Inderlok to Mundka and Yamuna Bank to Anand Vihar will be ready by September and December 2009 respectively.
Delhi’s Lieutenant Governor Tejendra Khanna said he was impressed with DMRC’s high performance and record of finishing targets before time and within cost budgets.
“DMRC would do a greater service to the nation if it created a consultancy wing for assessing organizational competence of bodies in other sectors and providing guidance on how they could become 24-carat gold organizations,” Khanna said.
Emphasising the need for such a wing, Khanna added that he would “invite consultants to take an independent view” on the Delhi Development Authority, Delhi Police and municipal corporations - which he felt were certainly not 24-carot gold organisations.
At the function, the Barakhamba Road Metro station was declared the Best Metro Station of the existing 66 stations. Situated in the commercial hub of the city, the station sees about 20,000 passengers daily.
Rajiv Chowk Metro station’s group station manager Rajesh Kumar was awarded the Metro Man of the Year (2008-09) award. Twenty-one other DMRC employees were honoured for outstanding performance in their respective areas of work.
- Two more bridges across Yamuna in Delhi Metro Phase-III - Sep 15, 2011
- Metro Man rides into sunset, to pass baton to Mangu Singh (With Image) - Dec 30, 2011
- We will miss Sreedharan's services: Dikshit - Dec 28, 2011
- Secretariat-Kashmere Gate Metro line expected by 2015 - May 25, 2012
- Top Delhi Metro official resigns - Apr 19, 2012
- Delhi Metro to add 800 lifts and escalators - Jan 06, 2012
- DDA told to raise funds for Metro network expansion - May 03, 2011
- Metro Phase III gets approval - Aug 10, 2011
- Metro ridership touches 18 lakh, sets new record - Aug 02, 2011
- Metro Phase III will be built by 2016 - May 02, 2012
- Delhi Metro Phase III gets bigger, to cover Jamia, Faridabad - Jan 31, 2011
- Metro Man Sreedharan switches tracks, retires Saturday - Dec 30, 2011
- Eight years on, Delhi Metro plans for Phase III (Lead) - Dec 24, 2010
- Kirti Nagar-Ashok Park Metro trial run started - Jul 14, 2011
- Metro completes first tunnel of Phase III - Jul 26, 2012
Tags: 24 carat gold, awaiting approval, carot, commercial hub, delhi development authority, delhi development authority delhi, delhi government, delhi metro rail, delhi metro rail corporation, dmrc, foundation day, government nod, independent view, indraprastha, lieutenant governor, metro station, municipal corporations, organizational competence, phase ii construction, tejendra khanna