Blog says Members of Parliament misusing diplomatic passports for work, businessFebruary 18th, 2010 - 3:28 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Feb.18 (ANI): An article appearing in the blog — rajagopalan1951.blogspot.com - has said that Members of Parliament are allegedly misusing their diplomatic passports for work and business.
According to the article, the External Affairs Ministry has sought to put an end to such malpractice.
Diplomatic passports are issued to MPs going abroad on diplomatic assignment as also to their spouses accompanying them.
In a letter to Parliament, the Ministry has made it clear that these can be used for personal visits as well but not conducting any business or professional work as a lawyer, doctor or a businessperson.
“While diplomatic passports can be used for private visit like tourism or visiting friends and relatives, they are not meant to be used when traveling abroad for work and business,” the letter said.
It also makes it clear that any MP having the diplomatic passport does not get a right to visit any country, no matter even if the ministry sends a visa note for their visit.
“While issuing visa notes addressed to foreign Missions, the purpose of visit is specified, viz. official or private. However, it remains the prerogative of the foreign missions to grant or decline visa to an applicant, regardless of the visa note from this Ministry,” the letteradded. (ANI)
- Schengen visa processor VFS expands operations - Apr 18, 2012
- NRI woes on surrendering Indian passports (NRI Watch) - Aug 07, 2011
- Business visas for Chinese up - Dec 21, 2011
- Pak court extends double murder-accused US diplomat's remand till Feb 11 - Feb 03, 2011
- Ministry defends Krishna aide, rejects insinuations - Jul 08, 2011
- Indians working in Dubai fed up with chaos at new passport, visa centres - Apr 22, 2011
- More money for Indian diplomacy (Lead) - Mar 16, 2012
- Government's Public Diplomacy Division gets prestigious e-governance award for 2010 - Oct 28, 2010
- Visa on arrival to tourists from four Southeast Asian nations - Dec 30, 2010
- Myanmar, Indonesian tourists to get visa on arrival - Jan 25, 2011
- India, Pakistan to sign 'liberalised' visa agreement (Lead) - Apr 25, 2012
- 'External affairs ministry's budget, staff insufficient' - May 08, 2012
- Shunning Pakistan, Afghans rush to India for quality healthcare - May 29, 2011
- Dark reasons for India's exit from Nepal passport deal? - Jul 06, 2010
- 70 percent Russians never left ex-Soviet Union - Apr 06, 2012
Tags: business new, businessperson, diplomatic passport, diplomatic passports, external affairs ministry, foreign missions, lawyer, malpractice, members of parliament, mp, New Delhi, parliament, personal visits, prerogative, private visit, professional work, relatives, tourism, visa, work business