Blast in Assam refinery, ULFA claims responsibility (Lead)April 7th, 2012 - 10:53 pm ICT by IANS
Guwahati, April 7 (IANS) An explosion rocked a refinery in Assam Saturday evening. The banned United Liberation Front of Asom (ULFA) claimed responsibility for the blast in which no casualties were reported so far, police said.
The blast occurred inside the Numaligarh Refinery Limited (NRL) in Upper Assam’s Golaghat district Saturday evening, police said.
In an e-mail statement sent to the media, ULFA claimed responsibility for the blast inside the NRL premises and said a state-of-the-art technical device - Magnetic Time Device (MTD) - was used to carry out the explosion.
The outfit also termed the blast as part of its regular protests against ‘Indian exploitation’ in Assam.
The blast, which led to a major fire at the hydro-cracker unit of the refinery, however, did not cause any casualty.
NRL’s Manager (Corporate Communication) Madhuchanda Adhikari confirmed the incident to IANS.
“There was a fire at the hydro-cracker unit of the refinery at around 6.45 p.m. Saturday. We are yet to ascertain whether there was any blast, which led to the fire or the fire occurred due to some technical problem,” Adhikari said adding that efforts were on to douse the fire.
The refinery is a group company of the public-sector Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited.
Saturday (April 7) is the anniversary of ULFA’s Raising Day and the banned group had warned of major disruptive activities across Assam to mark the day.
- Assam remains largely peaceful on ULFA raising day (Lead) - Apr 07, 2012
- Blast in Assam refinery, ULFA claims responsibility - Apr 07, 2012
- Train carrying petroleum products catches fire in Assam - Nov 17, 2009
- Assam refinery to explore potential markets in neighbouring countries - Sep 08, 2012
- Four CRPF personnel killed in Assam encounter - Apr 02, 2011
- ULFA blow up petroleum-laden train in Assam (Lead) - Nov 17, 2009
- Northeastern India hit by cooking gas crisis - May 26, 2012
- Assam Police suspect nine ULFA terrorists behind Nalbari blasts - Nov 22, 2009
- Blasts on railway track in Asam, no casualties - Apr 20, 2012
- Assam police arrest a suspected ULFA cadre - Dec 27, 2009
- Massive fire in refinery, ULFA claims responsibility (Lead) - Jan 10, 2012
- Ulfa's bomb-making unit busted; 2 held - May 21, 2012
- One killed in firing by CISF - Mar 02, 2012
- ULFA faction opposes Sonia's Assam visit, calls for shutdown - May 22, 2012
- Two ULFA militants arrested in Guwahati - Mar 23, 2011
Tags: bharat petroleum, casualties, claims responsibility, corporate communication, corporation limited, cracker, disruptive activities, e mail, group company, mtd, nrl, numaligarh refinery, petroleum corporation, protests, public sector, saturday evening, time device, ulfa, united liberation front, upper assam