Black girls using marijuana prone to riskier sex, higher STD rateAugust 6th, 2008 - 12:38 pm ICT by ANI
Washington , Aug 6 (ANI): Black girls who use marijuana are more likely to get involved in risky sexual acts and contract sexually transmitted diseases, reveals a new study.
Conducted by Emory University public health researchers, the study analysed the marijuana use and self-reported sexual behaviour of 439 sexually active black females in the age group of 15-21 years.
It was discovered that black girls who used marijuana had significantly higher rates of incident STDs than non-marijuana users (32 percent compared to 23 percent).
In fact, the researchers found that those who used marijuana, also had more sex partners, riskier sex partners, including a partner just released from jail, and more recent episodes of engaging in vaginal sex while their partner was under the influence.
“While adolescent African-American females remain a high-risk group for STDs, little research has examined their marijuana use, sexual behaviors and incidence of STD infection,” said study co-author Ralph DiClemente, PhD, Candler professor of public health at Emory’’s Rollins School of Public Health.
He added: “Although no differences in condom use were identified between marijuana users and non-users, results suggest that marijuana users are engaging in sexual acts with riskier partners and under riskier circumstances, and had higher rates of STDs.
The researchers advised STD and HIV intervention programs designed for adolescent black females that not only promote condom use, but also emphasize the risks of drug use and STD and HIV infection.
The study was presented at the International AIDS Conference in Mexico City . (ANI)
- African-American girls addicted to marijuana have riskier sex - Aug 06, 2008
- Viagra users more likely to have STDs - Jul 06, 2010
- Sharing needles may play major role in transmission of syphilis - Apr 29, 2010
- Black gay men at higher HIV risk due to their perceptions of masculinity - May 03, 2011
- 11-year-olds in US can now order condoms via mail - Apr 15, 2011
- Brazil to distribute 20 mn female condoms - Mar 21, 2012
- Men reach orgasm after vaginal intercourse while women with oral sex - Oct 04, 2010
- Heterosexual HIV 'in China aggravated by unprotected sex, drugs' - Nov 09, 2010
- Philadelphia parents disgusted that 11 year olds are being given condoms - Apr 18, 2011
- Witness to violence makes women prone to risky sex: Study - May 11, 2012
- Sex mad backpackers behind STDs crisis Down Under - Mar 28, 2010
- Partners' characteristics may help predict STD risks - Apr 04, 2009
- Watching sexy movie scenes, kids turn promiscuous - Jul 18, 2012
- Psychiatric disorders linked to risky sexual behaviour in adolescents - Sep 29, 2010
- More Chinese wives get HIV from husbands - Jun 02, 2012
Tags: american females, black females, black girls, condom use, diclemente, emory university, high risk group, hiv infection, hiv intervention, international aids conference, intervention programs, marijuana users, public health researchers, rollins school of public health, school of public health, sex partners, sexual acts, sexual behaviors, sexual behaviour, vaginal sex