BJP to hold protests against Delhi budgetMarch 23rd, 2010 - 9:38 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 23 (IANS) Upping the ante against the Sheila Dikshit-led government for increasing diesel and Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) prices and withdrawing subsidy on domestic cooking gas, the Delhi unit of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Tuesday decided to hold demonstrations across the national capital.
“Delhi government’s budget is a cruel joke with the people of Delhi on the pretext of the Commonwealth Games. The common man, already suffering due to price rise, has been put under the burden of unnecessary taxes,” said Delhi BJP chief O.P. Kohli.
The protests will be organised across the city from March 25-27.
Delhi’s Finance Minister A.K. Walia Monday presented the annual budget of the national capital for 2010-11 in the legislative assembly. He withdrew subsidy of Rs.40 on LPG (Liquefied Petroleum Gas) amid protests from BJP legislators.
The minister proposed an increase in Value Added Tax (VAT) on diesel, CNG, mobile phones and accessories above Rs.10,000, watches and readymade garments above Rs.5,000, fertilizers, kerosene, coffee, tea, desi ghee, dry fruits, kesar (saffron), glucose-D, household plastic items, utensils and cutlery items and inverters.
The government justified the hike stating it needed money for the upcoming Commonwealth Games.
In Delhi, diesel that was available at Rs.35.47 per litre before the budget will now cost Rs.37.84. CNG that cost Rs.21.70 per kg will now be available at Rs.22.79 per kg.
“The Congress government which claims to be the commonman’s well-wisher has increased taxes on items like lantern and kerosene oil that are used by the poor. The hike in CNG and diesel prices will lead to increase in the cost of other commodities,” Kohli said.
- Living in Delhi gets costlier - thanks to Commonwealth Games (Roundup) - Mar 22, 2010
- Partial relief to Delhi residents as VAT on LPG withdrawn - Mar 29, 2010
- Things that would get costlier in Delhi post-budget - Mar 22, 2010
- No plan to hike diesel, LPG, kerosene prices: Reddy - May 28, 2012
- Government hikes diesel price by Rs.five a litre (Second lead) - Sep 13, 2012
- IGL raises gas prices by 0.20 paise in UP - Sep 08, 2012
- India Inc calls for dual pricing of diesel, LPG - May 24, 2012
- Fuel prices revised countrywide - Jul 25, 2012
- Fuel price hike will have inflationary pressure: Industrialists - Jun 25, 2011
- CNG price raised by Rs.2.30 in national capital region - Sep 30, 2011
- CNG prices raised Rs.2.90 a kg in Delhi (Lead) - Jul 06, 2012
- CNG prices hiked in Delhi and neighbourhood - Mar 05, 2012
- Delhi Govt. announces increases VAT on CNG, diesel in Budget 2010 - Mar 22, 2010
- BJP protests fuel price hike, demands rollback - Jun 25, 2011
- Fuel prices hiked in Pakistan - Apr 01, 2012
Tags: bharatiya janata party, bjp chief, capital delhi, coffee tea, commonman, commonwealth games, compressed natural gas, congress government, cruel joke, delhi government, diesel prices, dry fruits, finance minister, kerosene oil, liquefied petroleum gas, readymade garments, rs 40, sheila dikshit, walia, well wisher