BJP boycotts Lok Sabha to join rally against price riseApril 21st, 2010 - 1:33 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 21 (IANS) The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Wednesday boycotted the Lok Sabha proceedings to join its mass rally here to protest against the spiralling prices of essential commodities.
BJP spokesman Shahnawaz Hussain told IANS that party MPs felt it was more important to be part of the rally.
BJP leader and Leader of the Opposition Sushma Swaraj, who addressed the house before the start of question hour, slammed the government’s “wrong policies” for the price rise and said BJP MPs were joining the “lakhs and lakhs of people” who had come from all over the country for the protest.
“Price rise is not an outcome of any natural calamity, it is the outcome of the wrong policies of the government,” Swaraj said in her two-minute speech.
She said though the first day of the budget session began with a debate over price rise, there was no satisfactory reply by the government and no effort was made to curb the price rise.
Soon after her speech, the BJP MPs raised slogans against the government and trooped out of the house. They did not disrupt the question hour.
Thousands of BJP members have gathered here for a massive rally against rising prices, the first show of strength by newly-elected party president Nitin Gadkari.
- Quiet day in parliament as green tribunal bill debated (Parliament Roundup) - Apr 21, 2010
- Sushma blames wrong UPA policies for price rise - Nov 20, 2011
- Peace at last in parliament, crucial bills passed (Lead) - Aug 11, 2011
- Advani, Sushma Swaraj skip Meira Kumar's tea party - Sep 08, 2011
- Top BJP leaders to address anti-price rise rally - Apr 20, 2010
- BJP targets Chidambaram, stalls parliament (Roundup) - Aug 10, 2011
- BJP attacks UPA over fertilizer prices - Aug 20, 2012
- BJP to discuss price rise in Parliament - Feb 11, 2010
- Congress MPs add to Telangana chorus, Lok Sabha disrupted (Roundup) - Feb 23, 2011
- BJP activists walkout of Jammu and Kashmir Assembly - Feb 28, 2011
- Minister says price rise helps farmers, draws flak (Lead) - Aug 20, 2012
- Opposition unites to corner government on alleged coal scam (Lead) - Mar 22, 2012
- Day 3 in Parliament: No work, logjam on over price rise, Telangana - Nov 24, 2011
- Chidambaram in eye of parliament storm, government faces winter heat (Roundup) - Nov 22, 2011
- Gadkari leads BJP protest against rising prices (Lead) - Feb 10, 2010
Tags: bharatiya janata party, bjp, boycotts, budget session, commodities, lakhs, leader of the opposition, Lok Sabha, mass rally, massive rally, minute speech, mps, natural calamity, New Delhi, party president, protest price, satisfactory reply, show of strength, slogans, swaraj