BJP activists burn effigies of Patnaik over Vedanta issueNovember 17th, 2010 - 8:22 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Nov 17 (IANS) Hundreds of activists of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Wednesday took out a procession in Orissa and burnt effigies of Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik, seeking his resignation over the Vedanta University issue.
Carrying posters and banners, the men and women of the party’s youth wing marched at state capital Bhubaneswar and raised slogans against the chief minister and his government.
“He has been showing undue favours to various corporates, sacrificing the state’s interests. The high court judgment on the proposed Vedanta University is an example,” said Bibhuti Jena, a protest leader, adding that Patnaik and his council of ministers must resign.
A division bench of the Orissa High Court Tuesday quashed the process of land acquisition for Vedanta University and directed the authorities to return the acquired land to its owners.
The Anil Agarwal Foundation, promoted by NRI industrialist and chairman of Britain’s Vedanta Resources Anil Agarwal, was setting up the multi-disciplinary Vedanta University near the Konark-Puri marine drive, some 60 km from here.
The university was to come up in over 6,000 acres of land with a phased investment of Rs.150 billion ($3.5 billion).
- Protests in Orissa over varsity land issue - Nov 18, 2010
- Land acquisition for Vedanta University quashed - Nov 16, 2010
- Orissa assembly adjourned over Vedanta varsity issue - Nov 23, 2010
- Orissa rally to celebrate dumping of university plan - Nov 30, 2010
- Orissa assembly disrupted again over university issue - Nov 24, 2010
- Patnaik defends Vedanta varsity decision - Nov 25, 2010
- Vedanta University project gets environmental clearance - Apr 17, 2010
- Orissa moves apex court on proposed Vedanta university - Dec 15, 2010
- Environment ministry puts on hold Vedanta varsity in Orissa - May 11, 2010
- Supreme Court bench again avoids Vedanta hearing - Jan 21, 2011
- Orissa legislator jumps on speaker's table - Dec 14, 2010
- Vedanta University Bill re-introduced in Orissa assembly - Jul 25, 2009
- Vedanta committed to completing Orissa projects: Agarwal - Jun 06, 2009
- Controversial Vedanta University gets Orissa assembly nod - Jul 30, 2009
- Vedanta vows to complete its projects in Orissa - Jan 03, 2009
Tags: anil agarwal foundation, bharatiya janata party, chief minister, corporates, council of ministers, court judgment, division bench, favours, industrialist, jena, konark, land acquisition, naveen patnaik, orissa high court, procession, protest leader, resignation, slogans, vedanta resources, vedanta university