Birla Tyres to shut down Orissa unit third timeFebruary 6th, 2009 - 1:52 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Feb 6 (IANS) Birla Tyres, a unit of the BK Birla Group company Kesoram Industries, will close down its Orissa plant temporarily for the third time in as many months from Feb 16 to Feb 28 on account of falling sales, a company official said Friday.The unit had shut down operations for about 15 days in December and 13 days last month. It had resumed production Feb 1.
“There is no sign of improvement in the market. The plant will be closed again from February 16,” a senior plant official told IANS over phone on condition of anonymity because he is not authorised to speak to the media.
“It will resume production on March 1. We have already notified all the 10 workers unions and the local administration,” the official said, adding that employees will not be paid during the shutdown.
The unit employs around 2,200 people. Set up to manufacture automobile tyres, tubes and flaps in Balasore district, some 200 km from here, the unit started commercial production in March 1992.
According to the company, the unit has an installed capacity of 1.50 million tyres, tubes and flaps per year. Approximately, 30 percent of its production is exported to 43 countries.
- Birla Tyres shuts down Orissa unit - Jan 19, 2009
- Birla Tyres resumes production at Orissa plant - Mar 02, 2009
- Birla Tyres shuts production in Orissa unit again - Feb 17, 2009
- Birla Tyres to shut down Orissa unit once again - Jan 16, 2009
- Workers protest Birla Tyres factory shutdown - Jan 20, 2009
- Lockout at Birla Tyres' Balasore unit - Jul 16, 2010
- Kesoram Industries to invest Rs.1,125 crore - Jul 01, 2010
- Birla tyres undecided on commissioning Odisha unit - Jul 11, 2012
- Birla Tyres shuts down Orissa unit (Lead) - Dec 17, 2008
- Kesoram plans to invest Rs.2,000 crore in 15 months (Lead) - Jun 26, 2009
- 'Kumar Mangalam will take charge of Kesoram when required' - Jul 05, 2011
- Continental plans 50 mn euros investment in India - Aug 24, 2011
- Kumar Mangalam to head Kesoram after B.K. Birla - Jun 26, 2009
- Metro Tyres to invest Rs.100 crore to expand production - Jul 05, 2012
- Kesoram Industries posts net profit of Rs.36.83 crore - Jan 28, 2010
Tags: 50 million, anonymity, automobile tyres, birla group, birla tyres, bk, days in december, group company, kesoram industries, local administration, march 1, orissa, third time, tubes, workers unions