Birla Tyres shuts down Orissa unitJanuary 19th, 2009 - 3:09 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Jan 19 (IANS) Birla Tyres, a unit of the BK Birla group company Kesoram Industries, Monday closed down its Orissa plant temporarily on account of falling sales, a company official said.”The plant will be closed till January 31 because of falling demand,” a senior official at the unit told IANS on condition of anonymity because he is not authorised to speak to the media. “It will resume production on February 1,” he said.
Employees will not be paid during the shutdown. The unit employs some 2,200 people.
The unit had shut down operations for 15 days last month because of the same reason.
Set up to manufacture automobile tyres, tubes and flaps in Balasore district, some 200 km from here, the unit started commercial production in March 1992.
According to the company, the unit has an installed capacity of 1.50 million tyres, tubes and flaps per year. Approximately, 30 percent of its production is exported to 43 countries.
- Birla Tyres to shut down Orissa unit third time - Feb 06, 2009
- Birla Tyres resumes production at Orissa plant - Mar 02, 2009
- Birla Tyres to shut down Orissa unit once again - Jan 16, 2009
- Birla Tyres shuts production in Orissa unit again - Feb 17, 2009
- Workers protest Birla Tyres factory shutdown - Jan 20, 2009
- Birla Tyres shuts down Orissa unit (Lead) - Dec 17, 2008
- Birla tyres undecided on commissioning Odisha unit - Jul 11, 2012
- Lockout at Birla Tyres' Balasore unit - Jul 16, 2010
- Kesoram Industries to invest Rs.1,125 crore - Jul 01, 2010
- 'Kumar Mangalam will take charge of Kesoram when required' - Jul 05, 2011
- Kesoram plans to invest Rs.2,000 crore in 15 months (Lead) - Jun 26, 2009
- Kumar Mangalam to head Kesoram after B.K. Birla - Jun 26, 2009
- Kesoram Industries posts net profit of Rs.36.83 crore - Jan 28, 2010
- Japanese steelmaker to build plant in central Mexico - Aug 08, 2012
- Continental plans 50 mn euros investment in India - Aug 24, 2011