Birla Corp Q1 net down 24 percentJuly 28th, 2012 - 10:32 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, July 28 (IANS) Birla Corporation, the flagship company of the M.P. Birla group, Saturday announced a 24.26 percent slide in its net profit to Rs.84.74 crore for the quarter ended June 30, 2012, from Rs.111.88 crore in the same period last year.
Net sales in the first quarter, however, stood at Rs.658.02 crore as against Rs.556.97 crore posted in the same period a year ago.
Birla Corporation chairman Harsh V. Lodha, in a statement, said profitability of the company continued to be affected due to the closure of limestone mining operations at its Chanderia units on account of the order of Rajasthan High Court.
Rail freight hike, with effect from March 6 this year, on incoming raw materials and outgoing cement dispatches and soaring power and fuel costs impacted profit. Suspension of work at Birla Jute Mills also had an adverse effect on the company’s bottomline.
The company is undertaking several capacity expansion projects in its cement division which could increase the capacity to 9.3 million tonnes per annum by the end of the current financial year.
- Birla Corp. mulling cement plant in Ethiopia - Jun 28, 2012
- Birla Corp posts Rs.137.50 crore net profit in Q4 - Apr 22, 2010
- Birla Corporation posts Rs.68.97 crore Q2 net profit - Oct 26, 2010
- Birla Corp plans Rs.1,025 crore capacity expansion investment - Jun 27, 2011
- R.S. Lodha's son is now Birla Corp chairman - Oct 23, 2009
- Birla Corp Q1 net profit down at Rs.118.28 crore - Jul 21, 2010
- Birla Corp to spend Rs.2,400 cr on expansion - Jun 23, 2010
- Birla Corp looking at overseas acquisitions - Oct 27, 2009
- ACC quarterly profit dips 10.86 percent - Apr 26, 2011
- Grasim Industries Q1 net profit down 8 percent - Jul 31, 2010
- NTPC quarterly net profit rises 15 percent - Oct 25, 2011
- Birla Corp to set up cement plant in Assam - Jan 13, 2011
- Maruti Suzuki's Q4 net profit down three percent - Apr 28, 2012
- Hindustan Motors reports Rs.35.5 cr loss in Q1 - Aug 13, 2012
- Birla expects 10 mn tonnes cement capacity in two years - May 07, 2009
Tags: adverse effect, birla group, capacity expansion, cement division, closure, crore, dispatches, first quarter, flagship company, fuel costs, incoming raw materials, jute mills, lodha, m p birla, net profit, net sales, profitability, q1, quarter ended june, rail freight