Birla Corp plans Rs.1,025 crore capacity expansion investmentJune 27th, 2011 - 9:06 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, June 27 (IANS) The M.P. Birla Group flagship Birla Corporation is planning to invest around Rs.1,025 crore over the next one and a half years for expanding cement and power capacity, a top executive of the company said Monday.
“Currently we have a capacity of producing 7.5 million tonnes (mt) of cement. After capacity expansion, it is expected to touch 9.3 mt by March 2012,” Harsh V.Lodha, chairman of Birla Corporation, told reporters on the sidelines of 91st annual general meeting of the company.
“The progress of work on the 1.2 mt brownfield project for increasing the capacity at Chanderia (Rajasthan) and 0.6 mt capacity addition at Durgapur (West Bengal) is satisfactory and the projects are likely to be commissioned by November-December 2011,” he said.
The expansion projects relating to replacement of old cement ball mills, one at Satna (Madhya Pradesh) and the other at Chanderia, for increasing the cement grinding capacity and ensuring power saving were also progressing satisfactorily, he said.
He said with a view to optimize on the logistic costs, it was proposed to install a grinding-cum-packing plant with a capacity of 7.5 lakh tonnes per annum at Kota (Rajasthan).
Lodha said the cement sector had witnessed massive capacity additions of over 100 mt during the past three years, which had resulted in significant pressure on price realisation and also on capacity utilisation during 2010.
“Demand in the market grew at a rate of five percent. We are hoping that it will grow at eight to ten percent this year,” he said.
- Birla Corp posts Rs.137.50 crore net profit in Q4 - Apr 22, 2010
- Birla Corp to spend Rs.2,400 cr on expansion - Jun 23, 2010
- Birla Corp Q1 net down 24 percent - Jul 28, 2012
- Birla Corp looking at overseas acquisitions - Oct 27, 2009
- Birla Corp. mulling cement plant in Ethiopia - Jun 28, 2012
- Birla expects 10 mn tonnes cement capacity in two years - May 07, 2009
- Birla Corporation posts Rs.68.97 crore Q2 net profit - Oct 26, 2010
- Birla Corp eyes 3 percent rise in cement sales - Oct 24, 2011
- Birla Corp to set up cement plant in Assam - Jan 13, 2011
- Birla Corp Q1 net profit down at Rs.118.28 crore - Jul 21, 2010
- Birla Corp to sign pact for Assam cement plant - Aug 31, 2010
- Kesoram Industries to invest Rs.1,125 crore - Jul 01, 2010
- India Cements chalks plans to become pan-nation player - Jan 15, 2012
- Himachal's cement production to go up - Mar 22, 2012
- Graphite India's Q2 net slips 14.9 percent - Nov 14, 2011
Tags: annual general meeting, birla corporation, birla group, brownfield, capacity addition, capacity additions, capacity expansion, capacity utilisation, durgapur, group flagship, logistic costs, m p birla, madhya pradesh, massive capacity, mt capacity, packing plant, rajasthan, sidelines, top executive, west bengal