Birla Corp expects pressure on cement priceJanuary 27th, 2009 - 10:23 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Jan 27 (IANS) Cement manufacturer Birla Corp Ltd Tuesday said cement prices will come under pressure in the current and next fiscals when the expected commissioning of new facilities takes place. “Pick-up in the demand of cement has been witnessed during the later part of December 2008, mainly on account of the revival of demand in the UP (Uttar Pradesh) and Bihar regions, and the same is likely to continue in the quarter ending March 2009,” the company said in a statement.
“However, implementation of the new cement capacity of about 100 million tonnes in the course of the next two years, coupled with the likely sluggishness in economic growth, is likely to impact realisation adversely,” it added.
The company said production at its Durgapur cement facility, which resumed in July 2008, “is now stabilising and is expected to improve in the coming quarter”.
The operations at Durgapur Cement Works and Durga Hitech Cement in Durgapur were suspended March 11, 2008 due to persistent acts of lawlessness by the workers.
Birla Corp, the flagship company of the M.P. Birla Group, has reported net profit of Rs.813.8 million (Rs.81.38 crore) for the quarter ended Dec 31, 2008 against Rs.1.06 billion (Rs.106.40 crore) for the corresponding period last year.
“The power and fuel cost was higher during the quarter mainly on account of increase in the cost of coal. However, the effect of softening fuel prices will be felt in the fourth quarter of the current fiscal,” the release said.
- Birla Corp eyes 3 percent rise in cement sales - Oct 24, 2011
- Birla Corporation posts Rs.68.97 crore Q2 net profit - Oct 26, 2010
- Birla Corp Q1 net down 24 percent - Jul 28, 2012
- R.S. Lodha's son is now Birla Corp chairman - Oct 23, 2009
- Oil firms increase jet fuel price by 3.70 percent - Nov 30, 2011
- Maruti Suzuki quarterly net profit declines 59.81 percent - Oct 29, 2011
- ACC quarterly profit dips 10.86 percent - Apr 26, 2011
- Oil firms cut jet fuel prices by 1.38 percent (Lead) - Dec 15, 2011
- Maruti Suzuki's third quarter net profit down 63.6 percent - Jan 23, 2012
- High taxes reason behind rising jet fuel: Ravi - Nov 30, 2011
- Kingfisher Airlines third quarter loss at Rs.444 crore - Feb 16, 2012
- CESC's consolidated net profit down 11 percent - Jun 13, 2012
- Bosch India net up 31 percent in 2011 - Feb 28, 2012
- Birla Corp plans Rs.1,025 crore capacity expansion investment - Jun 27, 2011
- Hero Motocorp's Q3 net profit up 43 percent - Jan 19, 2012
Tags: 100 million, bihar, birla group, cement manufacturer, cement prices, cement works, corp ltd, crore, economic growth, flagship company, fourth quarter, fuel cost, fuel prices, lawlessness, m p birla, march 11, net profit, rs 1, sluggishness, uttar pradesh