Biometric cards for Assam small tea growers soonApril 25th, 2012 - 7:10 pm ICT by IANS
Guwahati, April 25 (IANS) Small tea growers in Assam will soon get biometric smart cards with a unique number.
The move has been initiated by the Tea Board of India.
Its executive director, Rakesh Saini, said Wednesday that the process of giving biometric cards will start April 28 at Sonitpur. Twelve small tea growers will be given biometric cards on that day, he said.
The Tea Board has collaborated with Amtron, the nodal agency of the Assam government for development, promotion and implementation of IT-related activities, for the project, he said.
“The Biometric Smart Card will electronically store all data regarding the individual small tea grower - his area of cultivation, production, address of his plantation and all other details,” said board assistant director D. Kakoty, adding that the cards will improve connectivity between the Tea Board and the small tea growers.
“The Tea Board had asked the small tea growers to register with the Board and relaxed the norms for the registration process. However, only 5,000 small tea growers have registered with us so far. Non-registration with the Tea Board deprives the growers of many schemes,” Kakoty said.
There are over 70,000 small tea growers in Assam who contribute about 30 percent of the state’s total production.
Kakoty also said that a website detailing the board’s activities in the northeast will be launched soon for the benefit of the tea growers in this part of the country.
- Tea Board simplifies registration for Assam's small growers - Mar 21, 2012
- Tea Board to shift northeast zonal Office to Jorhat - Jun 27, 2012
- Tea Board to register small growers - Feb 18, 2012
- Tea Board earmarks Rs.300 crore for small growers - Apr 28, 2012
- Tea production declining in organised sector in India - Aug 07, 2012
- Separate authority to boost tea production in India - Dec 15, 2011
- Delayed rainfall likely to affect Assam tea production - Mar 16, 2012
- Centre will help revive Kangra tea: Anand Sharma - Apr 10, 2012
- Assam small tea growers mull creating own brand - Mar 23, 2012
- For small farmers, it's tea time in Assam! - Jan 14, 2011
- Former tea garden owners are Tripura's new entrepreneurs - Jul 11, 2010
- Scheme to promote small tea plantations in Assam - Jul 28, 2010
- spice park to be set up in Himachal - May 08, 2010
- Small tea growers usher in winds of change in Assam (With Image) - Sep 04, 2010
- Pest attack affects Siliguri's tea production - Oct 20, 2010