Bihar procures 16 lakh tonnes of paddyMarch 16th, 2012 - 6:25 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, March 16 (IANS) In view of the bumper paddy crop in this kharif season, Bihar has procured 16 lakh tonnes of paddy till Thursday against the target of 30 lakh tonnes, officials Friday said.
Food and Consumers Affairs Minister Shyam Rajak told IANS: “We are sure to achieve a record target of 30 lakh tonnes procurement of paddy this year”.
Rajak said that farmers were paid Rs.1,325 crore for paddy.
“We have directed officials to deposit the amount in the bank account of farmers within 72 hours after procurement.”
After two years of successive drought, a bumper paddy crop this season has come as a huge relief to millions of farmers in Bihar.
“This year Bihar has produced over 70 lakh tonnes of paddy,” Rajak said.
According to the minimum support price announced by the central government, farmers will get Rs.1,080 per quintal of paddy — up from last year’s price of Rs.1,010.
The government has purchased six crore gunny bags worth Rs.200 crore to achieve the paddy procurement target, an official said.
Government agencies involved in procurement of paddy had till last week complained of scarcity of gunny bags.
“It was found true and the government decided to purchase gunny bags to remove any hurdle,” a Food and Consumers Affairs Department official said.
- Bihar buys six crore gunny bags - Feb 14, 2012
- Bihar procures record paddy but farmers' cheques bounce - Apr 07, 2012
- After drought, bumper paddy crop cheers Bihar farmers - Dec 12, 2011
- Poor rain hits paddy transplantation in Bihar - Jul 30, 2012
- Punjab, Haryana procure over 150 lakh tonnes wheat - May 01, 2012
- Chhattisgarh farmers earn record money in paddy sale - Feb 25, 2012
- Farmer suicides spark Bengal political storm (West Bengal Newsletter) - Jan 22, 2012
- Punjab, Haryana procure record 200 lakh tonnes of wheat - May 11, 2012
- Haryana paddy procurement to begin Oct 1 - Sep 22, 2011
- Chhattisgarh to procure Rs.5,000 crore worth paddy - Oct 15, 2010
- Kashmir sets paddy MSP at Rs.1,080 per quintal - Oct 11, 2011
- Jharkhand produces record Kharif crop - Jan 29, 2012
- Chhattisgarh eyes 5.5 mn tonnes paddy procurement - Nov 24, 2011
- Chhattisgarh farmers to get Rs.50 bonus on selling paddy - Nov 03, 2010
- Over 4.5 mn tonne paddy procured in Punjab - Oct 18, 2010
Tags: affairs department, affairs minister, central government, consumers affairs, crore, drought, farmers, government agencies, gunny bags, hurdle, kharif season, minimum support price, paddy procurement, patna, procurement target, quintal, scarcity, shyam, tonnes