BigAdda among Dataquest’s top 25 Indian Internet start-upsMay 13th, 2009 - 2:52 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 13 (IANS) BigAdda, the social networking website belonging to the Anil Ambani group, Fropper, a dating site and Indyarocks, an entertainment-based social network, are among the top 25 Indian Internet start-ups ranked for the first time by leading technology magazine Dataquest.
The rankings prepared with the help of Indianweb2.com that tracks Indian start-ups in the technology space, is an interesting mix of social networking sites, tool makers, rating sites, and creators of close-knit online communities and mobile applications.
The final list was prepared from 54 companies that were shortlisted based on a set of parameters like applications that are designed to run on new technologies such as Web 2.0.
The short-listed companies were also judged on more subjective parameters like reach, impact, and innovativeness of offering to create the final list.
Web 2.0 refers to a supposed second-generation of Internet-based services such as social networking sites and communication tools that let people collaborate and share information online in ways previously unavailable.
“India has the potential to significantly drive the direction in which web 2.0 is moving. Micro-blogging and video streaming are the future of web 2.0 along with ‘niche’ networking, be it on a friendship portal or around communities,” said Dataquest editor Shyamanuja Das, who led the project.
“A stronger revenue model and a shift from ad-based framework to an e-commerce based set-up is desirable,” Das added.
Companies which began operations on or before Jan 1, 2007 were considered for the rankings.
Major sites that figure in the list include bharatstudent.com, a networking platform addressing education and career related issues of students; and commonfloor.com, an online community of housing societies and apartments owners and residents popular with several large builders.
- Specialised online stores hottest e-commerce start-ups: Survey - Jan 30, 2011
- Top 20 Indian outsourcing firms grew 13 percent in 2010-11: Report - Aug 19, 2011
- Indyarocks offers free access to 16 video channels - May 26, 2009
- Facebook 'more popular than porn with UK Internet users' - Mar 19, 2011
- Alejandro Sanz unveils album-title game for fans - Jun 06, 2012
- Start-up to tap online hotel booking market - Mar 13, 2012
- Facebook IPO boosts growth of Chinese sites - Feb 03, 2012
- Government's Public Diplomacy Division gets prestigious e-governance award for 2010 - Oct 28, 2010
- Public Diplomacy Division bags prestigious e-governance award - Oct 28, 2010
- Virtual classroom solution, location-based mobile service get Microsoft awards - Jun 07, 2012
- New website lets one rank co-workers, see how others rank them - Jan 15, 2011
- Startup Launches To Save Men From Giving Bad Gifts On Valentine's Day - Feb 02, 2011
- Mahesh Bhatt taps digital medium boom for wider reach - Sep 06, 2012
- 5 meanest sites your kids should never visit - Oct 10, 2010
- Infosys ranked second in global outsourcing firms - Jul 23, 2012
Tags: anil ambani group, bigadda, communication tools, dataquest, indian internet, innovativeness, internet based services, leading technology, listed companies, mobile applications, networking platform, networking website, revenue model, second generation, social networking sites, start ups, technology magazine, technology space, tool makers, ups