‘Big sharks’ won’t get large slices of Kannur airport: AchuthanandanJanuary 12th, 2011 - 6:01 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, Jan 12 (IANS) Kerala Chief Minister V.S. Achuthanandan Wednesday reiterated that “big sharks” would not be allowed to get away with a large slice of shares of private investment in the Kannur airport.”We have fixed that anyone desirous of applying for shares should apply for a minimum amount of Rs.2.01 lakh. At the same time, we will see that the big investors won’t walk away with a giant portion of the shares kept for private investors,” said Achuthanandan.
Forty-nine percent of shares have been kept for private individuals in the airport.
A controversy had broken out after it was reported that Mumbai-based Leela Hotel group and Infrastructure Leasing & Financial Services Limited (IL&FS), one of India’s leading infrastructure development and finance companies, were eyeing a major stake in the airport.
A company, Kannur International Airport Limited (KIAL), has already been registered.
The new airport, which is coming up over 2,000 acres, will see the state government holds 26 percent of the shares, 23 percent are given to state public sector units, two percent to INKEL (Infrastructures Kerala Limited), a Kerala government company, and the remaining 49 percent would be open for private participation.
Achuthanandan has been strongly suggesting that the 49 percent should be given to the maximum number of people and should not be allowed to go to a few people.
“We will see to it that shares are not going to be held by a few who would have an iron grip in the running of the airport,” added Achuthanandan.
- Minister denies Kannur airport stake allotment - Dec 14, 2010
- Kerala's stranded mega projects set to revive - Sep 11, 2011
- Small investors entitled for Kannur airport equity - Oct 17, 2011
- Kannur airport to begin operations in 2015 - Feb 07, 2012
- European companies make a bee line for Kannur airport - Jun 25, 2012
- BPCL to take 21 percent stake in Kannur airport - May 04, 2012
- Kannur airport nod in view of Keralites' contribution: Patel - Dec 17, 2010
- Foundation stone for Kannur airport to be laid Dec 17 - Nov 20, 2010
- Foundation stone of Kerala's new airport to be laid Nov 1 - Jun 23, 2010
- Kerala will push low-cost airline, Islamic banking: Chandy - Nov 22, 2011
- Kerala cabinet clears sops for diaspora - Nov 16, 2011
- Kerala to offer investment options to NRKs: Chandy - May 16, 2011
- MCD earns Rs.10 lakh from Okhla plant - Jul 08, 2011
- IL&FS to be new promoters of Maytas - Aug 31, 2009
- India's first bamboo park in Tripura - Apr 06, 2011
Tags: finance companies, hotel group, infrastructure development, infrastructures, iron grip, kannur airport, kerala chief minister, kerala government, kial, lakh, leela hotel, maximum number, private individuals, private investment, private investors, private participation, public sector units, rs 2, thiruvananthapuram, v s achuthanandan