Bhilai Steel Plant faces severe water crisisOctober 6th, 2009 - 4:59 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, Oct 6 (IANS) Bhilai Steel Plant, the flagship unit of the state-owned Steel Authority of India Ltd (SAIL), is facing a severe water crisis that could hit its production, an official said Tuesday.
“It’s a severe crisis. The Chhattisgarh government has released about 200 cusec water Monday evening from its Gangrel dam, but it’s not sufficient,” a plant official told IANS.
The plant, situated in Bhilai, some 30 km west of Raipur, is the largest public sector steel unit in the country.
With the water stocks left just for two days, the plant management has started urgent talks with the state government for the release of more water.
“So far production is unaffected, but if the situation does not improve it will surely be hit,” he said.
The SAIL unit always keeps water stock for 14 days, but due to less rainfall this monsoon, the plant’s reservoirs at Maroda have almost dried up.
The plant had seen record production last fiscal. It produced 5.4 million tonnes of hot metal, 5.2 million tonnes of crude steel and 4.5 million tonnes of saleable steel in 2008-09.
It has set a target of 5.8 million tonnes of hot metal production for 2009-10.
- Bhilai Steel Plant faces water scarcity - Jun 26, 2009
- Production at SAIL's Bhilai Steel Plant dips - Apr 10, 2012
- Rourkela steel plant records best production in Q1 - Jul 02, 2012
- Bhilai plant produced 5.37 m tonnes hot metal in 2009-10 - Apr 03, 2010
- Fire breaks out at SAIL Chhattisgarh unit, production affected (Lead) - Feb 01, 2010
- SAIL's Bhilai unit records best ever performance - Jan 03, 2010
- SAIL Bhilai unit set to return to normal production - Feb 09, 2010
- SAIL's Bhilai unit records best ever Q-1 output - Jul 02, 2010
- RSP achieves best-ever saleable steel production - Oct 03, 2011
- Bhilai steel plant to set up two oxygen units - Mar 29, 2010
- SAIL's Bhilai unit bags PM's trophy for 10th time - Jan 13, 2012
- Bhilai Steel Plant targets 5.8 mn tonnes annual output - Jun 16, 2009
- Rourkela Steel sees best ever production - Aug 01, 2011
- Bhilai plant wins trophy for best steel unit - Nov 13, 2009
- Rourkela Steel sees best-ever performance - Sep 02, 2011
Tags: 5 million, chhattisgarh government, crude steel, cusec, hot metal, monsoon, plant management, public sector, rainfall, reservoirs, state government, steel authority of india ltd, steel plant, stock, target, tonnes, water crisis, water stocks