Bharti, Wal-Mart open first joint store in IndiaMay 30th, 2009 - 2:53 pm ICT by IANS
Amritsar, May 30 (IANS) India’s Bharti group and Wal-Mart, the world’s largest retailer, opened their first cash-and-carry joint venture store here Saturday on an investment of $7 million, and are planning to open at least 15 stores in the next three years.
The stores will be run under the brand name of Best Price Modern Wholesale.
“This is a beginning and we will come up with 15 more stores in the next three years. We have already tied up with 30,000 retailers and 8,000 suppliers and expect more to join us,” said Bharti Enterprises vice chairman and managing director Rajan Bharti Mittal.
“About 80 percent of our suppliers are from Punjab, we will set up our next store in Ludhiana,” Mittal said after inaugurating the outlet in this pilgrim town. “Each store will require about $7 million. This does not include the land price.”
According to him, the Amritsar store, spread over about 10,000 square feet, will provide 200 direct and 500 indirect jobs.
The two companies had earlier planned to open the store May 26 but this had to be deferred on account of the violence that erupted in Punjab after the killing of a spiritual leader in Austria.
- Bharti, Wal-Mart open their first joint store in India (Lead) - May 30, 2009
- Wal-Mart to target 35,000 Indian farmers for agri-business supply chain by 2015 - Oct 26, 2010
- Bharti Walmart planning more wholesale stores, Punjab is focus - Aug 06, 2010
- Bharti Walmart launches global money transfer service - May 24, 2011
- French retailer Carrefour opens first wholesale store in India - Dec 30, 2010
- Walmart training centre opens in New Delhi - Jul 23, 2010
- Wal-Mart launches store in Amritsar - May 30, 2009
- Bharti Walmart to open 40 retail stores by December - Sep 14, 2010
- Bharti Walmart launches supply chain system in Punjab - Mar 30, 2010
- Bharti, Wal-Mart defer launch of first wholesale store - May 25, 2009
- Wal-Mart set to open its first Indian wholesale outlet - May 21, 2009
- Wal-Mart Q3 profit below estimates - Nov 16, 2011
- Bharti Wal-Mart to train Delhi's youth - Jul 22, 2010
- Bharti Wal-Mart opens its first cash and carry store in Amritsar - Jun 09, 2009
- Comments from India Inc. on foreign equity in retail trade - Nov 25, 2011
Tags: amritsar, bharti enterprises, bharti group, brand name, India, jobs, joint venture, managing director, mittal, pilgrim, spiritual leader, square feet, vice chairman, violence, wal mart, wholesale