Bharat Sanchar Nigam awaiting state nod for divestmentJune 23rd, 2009 - 4:00 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 23 (IANS) State-run telecom operator Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd (BSNL) Tuesday said it was awaiting approval from the government for its maiden initial public offering (IPO).
BSNL chairman and managing director Kuldeep Goel told reporters here that the company would initiate its valuation process and start talks with labour unions after getting the government’s go-ahead.
“If the government decides we have to go for IPO, then we will talk to the unions and evaluate the company,” Goel said.
BSNL, which has proposed to dilute 10 percent of the government’s equity holding through IPO to raise about $10 billion, has a paid up capital of around Rs.5,000 crore and clocked revenues around Rs.45,000 crore in 2008-09.
The company also has more than Rs.30,000 crore in cash balance and is going gung-ho on its expansion plan, mainly through acquisitions.
“We are looking at some telecom operators in African countries,” said Goel.
The telecom major had last year invited bids for equipment to build 93 million GSM lines valued at over $6.5 billion.
Talking about the bid results, Goel said: “The financial bids have been opened and Ericsson has qualified for north and east and Huawei for south.”
He, however, did not mention who won the contract in the western India.
- Bharat Sanchar Nigam awaiting state nod for divestment (Lead) - Jun 23, 2009
- Revenues from 3G auction may touch Rs.45,000 crore: Raja - Apr 21, 2010
- Tariff war would hit revenues: BSNL (Lead) - Dec 02, 2009
- Telecom links in all Indian villages by 2014: BSNL - Mar 25, 2012
- Telecom services hit in northeast due to employees' strike - Dec 16, 2011
- Private telcos owe BSNL Rs.550.88 crore - May 02, 2012
- BSNL staff on fast, threaten strike Oct 10 - Sep 27, 2011
- BSNL launches value-added video services - Apr 11, 2011
- BSNL to be turned around in six months: Sibal - May 27, 2011
- 3G spectrum auction could raise Rs.45,000 crore: Raja (Lead) - Apr 22, 2010
- Indian telecom industry's revenue plunges 2.52 percent - Jun 22, 2011
- BWA spectrum auction fetches Rs. 38,300 crore - Jun 11, 2010
- Airtel pays Rs.1,177.5 crore licence, spectrum charges - Aug 24, 2011
- BSNL to lease infrastructure, data services to improve business - Dec 03, 2011
- '3G auction completion takes India a step forward' - May 19, 2010
Tags: acquisitions, african countries, awaiting approval, bsnl, cash balance, crore, divestment, expansion plan, huawei, initial public offering, initial public offering ipo, june 23, labour unions, managing director, New Delhi, nod, sanchar nigam ltd, telecom operator, telecom operators, western india