Bentley Motors to cut 220 jobsFebruary 11th, 2009 - 2:46 pm ICT by Amrit Rashmisrisethi
On Tuesday Bentley Motors Ltd announced that it would cut down 220 jobs and reduce workers salaries by 10 per cent as the luxury automaker struggles to deal with plummeting demand. The top-end car manufacturer already axed 230 jobs in December.
Last month the company, a subsidiary of Volkswagen AG, said it would stop production at its plant in the central English city of Cheshire for seven weeks beginning in March to deal with the collapse in the auto market.
Car sales have crashed down as Britain has fallen deeper into recession, and the future of the country’s auto sector is in doubt.
Companies, such as Jaguar Land Rover, have asked for government help to survive. Suppliers have also suffered. The British car parts maker Wagon PLC filed for a form of bankruptcy in December.
In January, figures released by the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders showed vehicle production in Britain slumped by nearly half in December from the same month the year before. Bentley’s sales have fallen by almost a quarter from just over 10,000 vehicles sold in December 2007 to about 7,600 sold in December of last year.
Bentleys retails for anything between 125,000 and 250,000 pounds each in the UK.
Bentley said it hoped its workers could be persuaded to leave voluntarily, but would not rule out forced redundancies. It said salary reductions for remaining workers would also affect the company’s chief executive, Franz-Josef Paefgen.
- In a subdued auto market, Asian companies log growth in July (Roundup) - Aug 01, 2012
- Volkswagen's China sales go up in 2011 - Jan 13, 2012
- Usha sells stake in Honda Siel Cars to Honda Motor - Aug 10, 2012
- Volkswagen appoints Arvind Saxena as managing director - Aug 22, 2012
- Polo prices up by 2.9 percent from Jan 1 - Dec 15, 2010
- Honda Element To Be Discontinued After 2011 - Dec 05, 2010
- Toyota eyes 10 percent market share in India by 2015 - May 13, 2010
- China launches first electric car for public - Oct 27, 2011
- Automakers confident of China market despite slowing sales - Nov 24, 2011
- Mercedes to increase investments to Rs.850 crore - Sep 05, 2012
- Jaguar-Land Rover eyes booming China market - Jul 06, 2012
- Volkswagen Group India achieves impressive sales growth of 180.7 per cent in 2010 - Jan 22, 2011
- Indian automobile sales zoom 31 percent in 2010 (Lead) - Jan 11, 2011
- Interest rates, fuel hikes dampen automobile sales in June (Roundup) - Jul 01, 2011
- Nissan, Ford post higher sales in March - Apr 01, 2011
Tags: auto market, auto sector, automaker, bentley, bentley motors ltd, bentleys, british car, car manufacturer, car parts, car sales, cheshire, collapse, franz josef, motor manufacturers, recession, s sales, salary reductions, seven weeks, society of motor manufacturers and traders, volkswagen ag