Bengal to up vigil to stop fishing of small HilsaAugust 11th, 2012 - 5:40 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Aug 11 (IANS) With the marine delicacy Hilsa, without which the Bengali platter is incomplete, being sold at Rs.1,000-Rs.1,500 per kg due to short supply, the West Bengal government Saturday decided to check catching of small fish during the breeding season.
West Bengal Fisheries Minister Abu Hena said the government was planning to beef up vigilance in the coastal areas to stop catching of baby Hilsa.
In city markets, the prices of the Hilsa have been ranging between Rs.1,000-Rs.1,500 a kg depending upon the size and quality of the fish. The prices of the fish which is normally exported by Bangladesh at $8-$12 per kg also have gone up sharply.
“The state government does have a law to stop catching of small Hilsa fish, especially during the breeding season. But this law is not properly followed and implemented at the grassroots level. So the fishermen are openly violating this law and are catching baby Hilsa,” Hena told IANS.
“We are planning to increase the vigilance in the coastal areas. So that the law can be implemented properly and catching of small Hilsa can be prohibited,” he said.
While the scanty rainfall has resulted in decline in spawning of the fish within the country, a temporary ban on the export of the Hilsa by Bangladesh has compounded the supply shortage.
- Hilsa selling at Rs.1,000-1,500 in Bengal, prices to continue soaring - Aug 08, 2012
- Is overfishing killing the hilsa in Bengal? (With Image) (June 5 is World Environment Day) - Jun 05, 2012
- Mamata tames pricey hilsa? - Jul 20, 2011
- Hooked on the hilsa - Sep 07, 2011
- Good news for hilsa lovers: Bangladesh tries pond farming (Lead) - May 14, 2010
- No fish will be left to catch, expert warns Bangladesh - Feb 01, 2011
- Bangladesh to boost trade, ties with northeast - Dec 08, 2010
- Enclaves, hilsa key issues in PM's Dhaka visit - Aug 23, 2011
- Tourism eating into Goa's fish? - Jul 11, 2010
- Queen hilsa reigns over Kolkata palates (Eating Out With IANS) - Sep 10, 2010
- Wildlife body seeks breeding season ban on river fishing - Jun 18, 2009
- Reduce taxes on hilsa fish, say Bangladesh, Indian traders - Jul 03, 2009
- Bangladesh tries to farm hilsa in ponds - May 14, 2010
- Bangladesh Utsav in Kolkata from Thursday - Dec 16, 2010
- Manmohan to break veg vow for hilsa? - Sep 06, 2011
Tags: bangladesh, bengali, city markets, coastal areas, decline, delicacy, fisheries, fishermen, fishing, grassroots level, hena, hilsa fish, rainfall, rs 1, small fish, state government, vigil, vigilance, west bengal government