Bengal to make Sagar Island a tourist attractionJune 1st, 2012 - 6:04 pm ICT by IANS
Sagar Island (West Bengal), June 1 (IANS) The West Bengal government will undertake infrastructural development in the sagar Island in South 24-Parganas district with a view to promote tourism, Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee said Friday.
“The Ganga Sagar Mela is a very important festival and keeping this in view, we will spruce up infrastructural development here to make it an attractive tourist destination,” Banerjee said at Sagar Island, located 150 km from Kolkata.
The government is also working on developing a deep sea port in the area.
“The port trust and the government are already working on developing a deep sea port here, which will energise the economy and generate employment for the people of the area,” said Banerjee, adding that a railway link to the island would also come up soon.
“Work is on full swing, and very soon the island will be on the railway map. We have also donated 10 acres of land here on which tourist centres and other facilities will be developed,” Banerjee said.
The area being prone to cyclones, 15 relief centres will be built to provide quick succour to people in the event of natural disasters.
“Apart from developing roads and concretising the jetties, a university and a medical college will also be set up here. Tourism is an important industry and we will do everything required to develop the tourism infrastructure of the area,” said Banerjee, who inaugurated the restoration work of the Kapil Muni Ashram premises.
The chief minister handed over Kisan Credit Cards and crop insurance papers to the farmers of the area. She also distributed pattas (title deeds) under her pet project “Nijo Bhumi Nijo Griha” (Own land own house), under which a beneficiary is entitled to three cottah of land to build a private house.
- Bengal aims at 60 days work under rural jobs scheme - Apr 24, 2012
- Banerjee announces sops for Muslims, honorarium for Imams - Apr 03, 2012
- Deep sea port to come up on reclaimed land in Bengal - Feb 05, 2011
- West Bengal to set up two deep sea ports (Lead) - Aug 16, 2012
- West Bengal to set up two deep sea ports - Aug 16, 2012
- Hooch sellers to be helped into alternate trade: Mamata - Dec 23, 2011
- Bengal industry disagrees with land panel's recommendation - Jun 18, 2011
- KoPT plans to reclaim land to set up deeper draught port - Sep 21, 2010
- Pilgrims not to pay tax at fair: Mamata - Oct 20, 2011
- RFQ for Diamond Harbour container terminal July 22 - Jul 21, 2011
- Three lakh take holy dip at Gangasagar, cold kills two (Second Lead) - Jan 14, 2012
- Over two lakh devotees assemble for Gangasagar fair - Jan 14, 2012
- Tens of thousands throng the Ganges (Lead) - Jan 14, 2012
- Work with us for Siliguri's development: Mamata to Railways - Feb 11, 2012
- 400,000 take holy dip as Gangasagar Fair ends - Jan 15, 2012
Tags: attractive tourist destination, crop insurance, full swing, ganga sagar, infrastructural development, insurance papers, jetties, mamata banerjee, natural disasters, pet project, port trust, railway link, restoration work, sagar island, sea port, title deeds, tourism chief, tourism infrastructure, tourist centres, west bengal government