Bengal plans more affordable houses for poorAugust 18th, 2012 - 10:19 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Aug 18 (IANS) The West Bengal government is planning to set up more affordable houses for the rural poor under different central government schemes, a minister said Saturday.
The government is mulling to build these housing projects, under the central government’s flagship Basic Services to Urban Poor (BSUP) scheme and Rajiv Awas Yojana in West Midnapore, Purulia and South 24 Parganas districts.
“As property prices are on the rise in Kolkata, we are looking to develop more and more properties in the outskirts. We have already established about 54,000 dwelling units under BSUP and are planning to add more under this JNNURM (Jawaharlal Nehru National Urban Renewal Mission) scheme. Besides these, we are looking to add more dwelling units under Rajiv Awas Yojana,” state Urban Development Minister Firhad Hakim told reporters here.
“Some of the locations that we are looking at include Budge Budge (South 24 Parganas) and Kharagpur (West Midnapore). We are also looking at the industrial district of Raghunathpur (Purulia),” he added.
Hakim informed that these housing projects would be of one-room and two-room flats at affordable prices.
- Bengal plans more affordable houses for poor (Lead, correcting para one) - Aug 18, 2012
- Plan to provide cheap houses to urban poor - Sep 28, 2011
- India plans better housing facilities for urban poor - Jul 30, 2011
- Property rights to be given to urban poor under 'Rajiv Awas Yojana' - Oct 28, 2010
- Use incentives to build affordable housing: Minister - Feb 28, 2011
- Northeast to get funds for housing - Sep 17, 2011
- Cabinet approves slum development in 250 cities (Lead) - Jun 02, 2011
- India cannot be made slum-free in five years: officials - Aug 02, 2010
- Legislation in offing for street vendors - Nov 11, 2011
- Use incentives to build affordable housing: Selja (Lead) - Feb 28, 2011
- Government promises slum free India - Jun 04, 2009
- Nod for low-income housing credit risk fund - Mar 23, 2012
- Want slum free India: PM - Aug 15, 2011
- Didi desires to daub Kolkata in white and blue - Feb 18, 2012
- PM mulls Rs.1,000 crore corpus for housing poor - Dec 13, 2011
Tags: awas, central government, development minister, dwelling units, government schemes, hakim, housing projects, jawaharlal nehru, jnnurm, kharagpur, kolkata, midnapore, national urban, outskirts, purulia, rajiv, urban development, urban renewal, west bengal government, yojana